Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: liquid slides  (Read 25039 times)

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
liquid slides
« on: December 18, 2006, 12:00:01 PM »

the chemical equivalent of circuitbending :D

after many years i recently started doing liquid slides again
i'm back in the trip !!

for those who don't know this addictable technique :

you need an old slideprojector, wich is allowed to get dirty :P
some slides (with double glass !)
silicone kit or something simmilar
some liquid toxic waste, loads of little amounds will suite,
best are coloured, oily ,reactive things like for example :
hairgel, shampoo, whiskey, gasoil, ink, butter, spices, glue, etc
ventilation (for the smell)
fire extingwisher  ;D

put some old paper where you gonna do it,
take out the heat shield from the projector (importand ,otherwise not much hapens)
this is a thick piece of glass between the lamp and the slide.

now with the kit make a small dike on the edge of the slide, and fill inside
with your liquid waste, close carefull and put in the projector.
with the heat ,chemical reactions start to occur, they can be quit trippy,
depending on what you put inside
goes nice along with some circuitbend music  :D

i started this treath, so we can share some good formula's /recepy's
let us share our alchemic secrets here  ;)

hippyjon

Re: liquid slides
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:28:40 PM »

sounds interesting, im into vjing usiing the arkaos program and always looking for new clips to put into it. i take it you film the reaction as im guessing its a one time thing and then you have to start the process again.

where can you get double glass slides  ive already found an old projector in the back of a paper but am not too sure wher i could find slides as this is completeley new to me .

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 01:14:21 AM »

yeah, to film it with a good camera would be best, as it is a transient thing.
sometimes you can resurect them, but never so nice again.

the double glass slides are not so easy to find anymore, same as the projectors lamb.
but you'll find them.

here's a lo fi example from last saturday, at my friend's party :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LRnCxMboY

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »

come on guy's, do yourself a favour and get a slide projector !!

it's the best trip you will ever make on toothpaste  ;)

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:33:50 PM »

okay, i uploaded a few clips again, this time with own(circuitbent)music in the background,
here's one with casio mt400v:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1wH8NjqEtoM"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1wH8NjqEtoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:48 PM »

and another one incluiding circuit bent alesis hr16 :

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tc-20AMc1Uw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tc-20AMc1Uw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ox in a box

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 07:53:51 AM »

hey! i just bought a single slide projector which i think will be perfect for this thing... can you point me where to start, which stuff do i have to mix for good resoult? + since i cant find no double glass slides, is it possible to use two pieces of glass instead? i'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Rok

Silas

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »

Damn, that looks nice'n trippy.. To bad i killed i projector a couple weeks ago.. Got like 5000 double glass slides.. Atleast...

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:47 AM »

good news, cogratulations ! you can use two pieces of glass, but it will be hard to find glass that thin,
the frame where the slide goes in, is only 3 mm wide usualy, and you need also space for the liquids.
better find them second hand, many people want to get rid of them.
for the rest, if you follow instructions from the first post, you'll get the taste and experiment for yourself.
i would try a mix of butter and glue (i never tried, but i'm happy to hear what will happen ;) )

@Silas : 5000 ?? get a dozen of projectors and go for it  :D

i have now something like 6 projectors, all pointed on the same spot (i mix them with dimmers)
more projectors = more trippy  :o :P

ox in a box

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »

Silas would you sell me a few slides? 10 perhaps...

ox in a box

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »

i live in slovenia...anyway I got 3 slides now, enough to get me started, but now i have another problem... The slide projector is very old one with single slide load and it has 3 lens between lamp and slide, so there is no heat to start any reaction :/... i guess i'll have to find another projector...

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »

that's why i mentioned in the first post to take the heat shield out of the projector  ;)
the other lens can stay, thats to focus the light on the slide.
how many watts is the lamb in your projector ?
if it is around 250~300 W you'll be fine ( than it still takes some time to heat things up)
if you have a 150 watt bulp inside,it wont be enough to cause a lot of reaction unfortunately.
in that case, you could ad some more reactive (agressive) liquids, or dishwashsoap will bubble
on low temperature as well. or find another way to heath the slide....

if you have 3 slides, i wouldn't kit the sides, just put some liquid and press the glasses together
(so that you can re use them again) this is still nice. but be carefull that the liquids don't leak in
your projector's electric circuitry !, but usually with a single slide projector you're save

ox in a box

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 11:11:52 PM »

that's why i mentioned in the first post to take the heat shield out of the projector  ;)
the other lens can stay, thats to focus the light on the slide.
how many watts is the lamb in your projector ?
if it is around 250~300 W you'll be fine ( than it still takes some time to heat things up)
if you have a 150 watt bulp inside,it wont be enough to cause a lot of reaction unfortunately.
in that case, you could ad some more reactive (agressive) liquids, or dishwashsoap will bubble
on low temperature as well. or find another way to heath the slide....

if you have 3 slides, i wouldn't kit the sides, just put some liquid and press the glasses together
(so that you can re use them again) this is still nice. but be carefull that the liquids don't leak in
your projector's electric circuitry !, but usually with a single slide projector you're save

Yeah, i now i have to remove the shield... I thougth there were three lens inside, but after looking a bit more a saw one of them is just a heat shield, so i removed it, it is ok now... the lamp is 500w, i hope that's not too much :/. My slides are made of plastic and can be opened, inside there are two glasses, so the slides are sealed on every corner when closed and can be reused... for now i only tried putting toggother ink + jaggermeister + some butter, but not much happend and since it's late i'll continue tomorrow... any more recepies?

thanks, Rok

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 11:19:58 PM »

okay, a simple recepy then...
first a few drops of blue and some soap, cover this with cellophane
then a few drops of yellow (ink) and a tiny bit of aceton

the idea is that the aceton eat the cellophane, so that the blue and yellow can mix.
soap is for some extra bubble action

of course you could make more layers with cellophane or other plastic. it is also very beautyfull
to see how differend kinds of plastic respond to the heat. they all act differend as they melt

also a very good one is the kind of butter wich isn't made of milk , here in the netherlands we call it
"halvarine"  it is a kind of cheap synthetic butter. under certain conditions, it can truly change
the colours of your slide into other colours when it heats. very amazing to see !

and don't forget the glue !! all glue's act differend, and some brands are well worth to ad in your slide.
especialy the stronger kinds (2 component glue, poly urethane etc) you won't regred ..

good luck ! and let us know what happen.. :)

nochtanseenspecht

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 11:37:47 PM »

ah , 500 Watt. that should be fine to heath things up. could be a bit to much even. the plastic sides of
your slides will melt away... it could be wise to use a dimmer for heath (and light) control..
if they run to hot , they live very short. the slides i mean.
but i am certain you have the right projector. now find some more agressive ingredients.

btw, i guess you know that you should never move the projector when it is still hot...
the lamp would break easily then ! i always cool them for at least 20 minutes after a gig before i pack them
Pages: [1] 2