Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jalco Jack sockets  (Read 32851 times)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Jalco Jack sockets
« on: December 19, 2005, 02:47:11 AM »

Does anyone have any idea where to get hold of the PCB mounting 1/4 inch jack sockets usually marked as being made by JALCO that you can find on virtually every late 80's / early 90's drum machine and loads of keyboards? They are still used in plenty of bits of kit today.  They are rectangular, about 3 1/2 cm long, 1cm wide and 1cm high and have a square cross section.

You can see them on the top left here labelled as 6.5mm PJ3 series http://www.jalco.co.jp/04product/05js/js02.html
We can't find them anywhere which is a major pain as they seem to need to be replaced in loads of bits of kit

Any help would be appreciated from the UK or elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 02:54:07 AM by Circuitbenders »
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

catweazle

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
  • 8Bit are enough
Re: Jalco Jack sockets
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:58:51 PM »

HI,

www.digikey.com 

ihas nearly every electronic part (switches to extreme high-tech) and ships worldwide

I think you should find em there

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:58:32 PM »

Thanks for that, i've been trying to remember who digikey were for ages.
The only problem being the fact that their catalogue is totally baffling and they do tend to have rather harsh minimum orders plus shipping and handling charges. At least if you are ordering from outside the US.

I would have thought that these jack sockets would be freely available anywhere as they are used in so many bits of kit. I dread to think how many drum machines etc have been junked because people couldn't replace the jack sockets.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:02:47 PM »

Nope, no luck with Digikey i'm afraid. I've also had a couple of emails from other people who are also looking for these sockets and are completly unable to find them. This is just getting ridiculous, there must be somewhere in the world that will sell them.

billdepo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 06:01:33 PM »

Hello folks.

Came across this thread whilst searching for Jalco sockets and so have registered and logged myself in just to help you lovely people out. I know it's not the square type, but it may be useful to some of you.

Check here:

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=30193&STK_PROD_CODE=M28819&XPAGENO=3

This should be the correct socket for, eg, the old type Marshall pedals like the drivemaster, specifically the socket which puts power to the pedal when a jack plug is in. But of course the extra legs can be snipped off if they're in the way and you don't wanna use 'em.

Hope this is a help.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »

These sockets do work in some cases like the pedals you mention but the main problem is that the Jalco sockets from Rapid are just too wide for many machines where several outputs are lined up side by side (not to mention expensive). I'm not to sure about the pin assignations either, i'll have to get hold of a couple and try them out.

Its always seemed a bit wierd to me that PCB mounting sockets would ever be used on something like a guitar pedal. If any sockets are going to need to be more sturdy that usual its going to be those.

Anyway, the search goes on. Tony Allgood from Oakley Synths tells me that the Roland Spares department stock the right sockets, lets see how much they want to overcharge for them  :-\

ilcacillo

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »

Hello,

I was searching also for the same sockets and I can't find them anywhere either. I emailed different companies now, trying to see if they have those sockets as spare parts.
As far as I know, Boss pedals, Ibanez (10 series), Arion, Rocktek , Yamaha all of them used those pcb sockets and I also think it's weird why arent they commonly available. Anyway I emailed now all this companies, lets see their answer.

here is some links to picture of this type of jacks:
http://www.modezero.com/bitmaps/yamaha-fl100-Bx.jpg
http://www.modezero.com/bitmaps/rph10-Ex.jpg
http://www.diyguitarist.com/Images/SAD-PCB-Top.JPG

If anyone has any more info, please email me at:

Tiagotigre@hotmail.com

Thanks,
my best regards

Tiago

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 07:47:46 PM »

those are the ones, although you have to copy and paste those links or it just says 'no hotlinks please' at the other end.

I have actually found a source of these sockets but your looking at a fairly large minimum order from http://www.tdigroup.co.uk and its one of those companies that don't have prices in the catalogue so you have to phone them up and have to spend hours haggling with them >:(

Their online catalogue has been 'coming soon' for about 2 years now although they will send you a catalogue for free.

papaspank

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »

Not sure this would work for what you're wishing to do ... but it's a POSSIBLE solution

From billdepo's (very kindly) supplied link, and looking at the image of the little buggers in question, would you be able to glue then into postion with something like a strong epoxy resin - after first getting some thin wire to make flyleads from the pcb to the terminals on the plug it self - then turning the jack socket on it's side... and glueing it in place

Essentially doing what they do ito put a big engine into a smaller car bonnet...  ;D

Not sure if it would be as straight forward in a small space (as described in previous links), but it's just a thought.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 08:17:35 PM »

Do a search for 'Jalco Jack sockets' on google. This thread is the number one hit!

Still looking for the sockets at the top of this page http://www.jalco.co.jp/products/jack/phone_jack.html if anyone can help.

sleepyscot

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »

These connector come in several circuit configurations.  You can find two configurations at Mouser.com.  Part numbers 16PJ500 and 16PJ509.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 02:57:37 AM »

Thank you so much for that. You'd think they would be easy to find in the UK or europe but apparently not.

Looks like i'm going to have make an order from Mouser.

jossCardiff

• All the bees are dead