Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DenDer's Yamaha PSS570  (Read 15377 times)

DenDer

• TroiCenTrois
    • HomeBase
DenDer's Yamaha PSS570
« on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »

Hi CircuitBenders community,
This is my first post and a post to remember. I just finished bending and modifying my PSS 570.

So what's in it?

Left panel:
The upper three switches are from left to right for clipping circuit on a build in Mufffuzz effect, true bypass for fuzz effect and a mild distortion switch that also eliminates the drum section.
The three pots are for the stereo chorus mod, which controls depth and intensity. The middle pot is for the fuzzzzz.
The two pedalswitches are connected to some points on the CPU that need a shit shot to create mayhem. The big on/off switch is for total distortion.......
Right panel:
Consists of the patch matrix and dataline interrupters as described on http://circuit-bent.net/pss-270-tutorial.html
The 570 has the 3812 FM opl2 chip so it has a different pinout than the 270. Near the CPU there are 8 resistors, just solder these loose and connect them to the always on momentary switches. So the 8 red buttons are for this mod.
The four black momentary switches are connected to the rhythm section creating new arpeggios and stuff.
At the right you see 2 vertical colums. The 2 upper cinches are connected to two hotspots. The switch above it let you connect them to the four remainig cinches. So it is a little switch matrix.
I'll document this on my own site at www.acidcult.nl I'll also post pictures there of the inside of the PSS570 with all the bend points.
Hope you like it.

Overhere http://www.synthforum.nl/forums/showthread.php?p=1014892#post1014892 you can hear some audio.
"DenDer" roughly translated: "Rumble"

den·de·ren (onovergankelijk werkwoord; denderde, heeft/is gedenderd)
1 (van voertuigen) snel en met dreunend geluid zich voortbewegen, dreunend schokken
2 een ritmisch monotoon geluid produceren

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: DenDer's Yamaha PSS570
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:20:03 PM »

now that is some hardcore bending, the only thing missing is big metal instrument case handles!

I'm impressed, welcome to the forum  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »

That is pretty damn amazing

DenDer

• TroiCenTrois
    • HomeBase
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »

Thnx CB and SN  ;D

I've made this project from recycled products. All the cinches came from a mixer and amplifier. All the other parts where given to me as was the PSS itself. So no costs whatsoever. I don't think i have any handles lying around, when i come across them i'll put them on. :P

1 (van voertuigen) snel en met dreunend geluid zich voortbewegen, dreunend schokken

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:44:39 PM »

wow...

DenDer

• TroiCenTrois
    • HomeBase
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »

As promised some pics from the inside.

gbsr

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »

man. could you perhaps post more detailed pics of the bend points? ive got one of these aswell, found some interesting points, including your very very deep sub fm bass point, which made me quite happy :D

but yeah, perhaps a tutorial or more detailed pics of the bend points would be awesome. also checked the pss 270 tutorial, but im not so keen in dataline cutting unless really really neccessary.

for the record: have you found a good way to route the drums to the fm chip? i read a discussion about these keyboards some time ago and according to what i read it should be possible to modulate the drums with the fm chip, which would be completely awesome.

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »

hey Dender, here's Soul C from the synthforum.nl ! :)
nice job my friend.. also inside you did it nice
hope you post some more projects here

hoffy

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 06:03:04 AM »

but yeah, perhaps a tutorial or more detailed pics of the bend points would be awesome. also checked the pss 270 tutorial, but im not so keen in dataline cutting unless really really neccessary.

I'm perhaps the worst bender on earth, but that data cut mod is the easiest mod you can do. It really is simple. Even i did it twice (sucessfully). Hardest part was soldering.

DenDer

• TroiCenTrois
    • HomeBase
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »

Thanks guys for the nice comments.  ;D

@ GBSR i'll post all the bend points on my own site www.acidcult.nl soon. For the dataline cut.... you don't have to cut anything on this keyboard. Please read my first post. Just desolder the eight resistors near the CPU, that's all.

@ Soul C hey man zo komen we elkaar overal tegen!!! Ik weet niet of ik nog doorga met benden heb veel te veel DIY te doen. Ben nu bezig om me eigen modulair te bouwen. Het eerst volgende project wat ik hier zal laten zien is mijn opgevoerde DR55 met 10 !!!! potmeters + midi. :o

gbsr

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »

oh, sorry man, i missed that part. thats even better, id rather not cut anything at all if given the choice.
ill be looking forward for the info on your site, been checking it since i saw this mod.

also btw: damn good job. really nice actually. seems that (and also from what ive gathered while looking for bend points myself) that its a very musical bend. for me thats the most important part, to bend something so its still playable, and can easily be put into a musical context, rather the nonsensical (but equally beautiful though) "noise".

DenDer

• TroiCenTrois
    • HomeBase
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 08:04:08 AM »

hey Dender, here's Soul C from the synthforum.nl ! :)
nice job my friend.. also inside you did it nice
hope you post some more projects here

Thanx David......now also here my DR55 in the drummachine section but yoou already seen that one ;)

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 07:43:41 PM »

absolute killer ;)