Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HOW TO BUILD THE S-CAT CIRCUIT BENT DUB SIREN WITH PITCH HOLD  (Read 15350 times)

S-CAT

This is a very simple guide on how to build the S-CAT Circuit Bent Dub Siren, just follow these simple steps......

1. Buy this on ebay....NEW ROADSTER 12V CAR VAN SIREN HORN 6 NOVELTY TONES Item number: 180332552152

2. Discard the horn and open the small compartment that has the 6 red buttons on top.

3. Remove the six tactile switches, that are marked PB1 through to PB6.

4. Remove the 100K resistor that is situated under the Board identification number...HY6TPB3. PCB, when viewed from the
     componet side of the board.

5. Solder two wires into the holes from where the resistor has been removed.

6. Connect a 1M. rotary potentiometer to the end of this wire, the higher the value that is used, the lower it goes.

7. Cut the long black lead down to a suitable length, that is fitted to the centre of the board. 

8. Fit a 1/4" jack socket, This is the audio output. A potentiometer can also be fitted in-line as a volume control, these units 
     have a very high output signal, so you may also want to include an inline resistor to drop the output level.

9. Remove the Power lead, which is at the opposite end of the 100K resistor that was removed in stage 4 and fit a 9v. PP3
     battery lead.

10. When looking at the board from the component side, you will now need to fit the common earth wire into the hole that
     the tactile switch was removed from, this is marked PB6 and is the hole that is closest to the right hand lower corner.

11. Connect this wire to the centre pin of a two-way (on/off) toggle switch and then daisy-chain it over to a further five   
      toggle switch centre pins.

12. Next you will need to cut and solder six wires into the second row of holes from the bottom of the board. Solder the wires
      into the left side of each place that the tactile switches wre removed from, they are marked PB1 to PB6.

13. Now solder each of these wires to the outer leg/pin of the toggle switches that you have just daisy-chained together.

14. The next stage here is optional but is the pitch hold mod, this will stop the siren in its oscillating cycle and give a continious
      note that can then be swept using the pitch modulation dial , see section 6.
      The main chip on the board is numbered CS2103CP...You will need to connect a wire to the lower left leg and the second
      pin in, on the top row from the right.

15. Connect the two wires to a two way on/off toggle switch.

OPTIONAL:
Momentary on/off/on toggle switches can also be used for the six siren controls, just wire the two outside pins of the switch together with a jumper wire and then you can get a short burst of tone one way and a continious siren the other.

Detailed images are availale on request from spacecataudio-AT-yahoo.co.uk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:51:08 AM by Circuitbenders »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: HOW TO BUILD THE S-CAT CIRCUIT BENT DUB SIREN WITH PITCH HOLD
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:54:21 AM »

I just changed your post to edit your email address to add -AT- instead of @. You really don't want to be posting your real email address in any form that a bot could pick up on this forum, or indeed any forum, unless you want to be buried under a mountain of spam that is.

I'll just put in a point on the forum rules suggesting its not a good idea.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

S-CAT

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:52:49 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just changed your post to edit your email address to add -AT- instead of @. You really don't want to be posting your real email address in any form that a bot could pick up on this forum, or indeed any forum, unless you want to be buried under a mountain of spam that is.

I'll just put in a point on the forum rules suggesting its not a good idea.

Thanks Paul,
            That makes good sense, I hope that you were happy to see that I have joined in on the spirit of things here and included 3 circuit bending tips. The Dr-55 is a personal project that I am working on and have no plans to sell. I would like to ask a few members about mods on the machine and would like to include a full photo et on how to modify the Dr-55 to the extremes. I will not be using this site to ask for ideas on how to bend the machines that we sell, I do have standards here and can assure you that I will in no way be leeching.

Kind regards and thankyou for letting me back on this site,

Arron

PS. Did you manage to check out the three tracks that I posted on the site? I listened to a few of your tracks last night and wa quite impressed. Are you using software or hardware for production?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:18:23 AM »

PS. Did you manage to check out the three tracks that I posted on the site? I listened to a few of your tracks last night and wa quite impressed. Are you using software or hardware for production?

Cheers. I only ever use hardware as to my ears computers tend to sound shit, or at least having every sound coming from the same D/A converters using the same predictable synthesis methods in the same sterile environment sounds shit. I tend to end up spending more time actually getting the thing working as it should than actually writing music if i try to write with computers.

Just to prove my point, i can't actually get to youtube to listen to anything at the moment as neither of my PC's on this connection will go there for some bizarre reason i have yet to fathom.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

S-CAT

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »

Cheers. I only ever use hardware as to my ears computers tend to sound shit, or at least having every sound coming from the same D/A converters using the same predictable synthesis methods in the same sterile environment sounds shit. I tend to end up spending more time actually getting the thing working as it should than actually writing music if i try to write with computers.

I second that, I am strictly hardware when it comes to writting, but I do use the odd software based unit now and then.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »

I use pretty much straight hardware with a couple of chiptune guys in line once in awhile.

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 03:11:05 AM »

I like a nice blend of both :) I tend to take my VSS-30 with me everywhere (even though it looks pretty sorry for itself) and that outputs to my computer and m computer goes to my mixing desk which aux-es back to the vss-30. it's a happy vicious circle
yum, plastic sinewaves

epicentre

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »

Damn, I've just bought one of those 6-tone sirens, I thought it's the same thing, but it doesn't have the little box with the switches, just a siren with two cables coming out of it  :-\

can anything be done with that, or is it useless?

[edit]hmm, I took it apart and it looks like things can be done to it after all  :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:57:51 PM by epicentre »