Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: sk-1  (Read 11660 times)

sensor

• afraid of rotz
sk-1
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:20:17 AM »

has anyone an idea how to make single outs on the sk-1? one for the drums and one for the synth/sample sounds?
thanks a lot.

matthias

www.myspace.com/burningw

tommi

Re: sk-1
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:58:03 AM »

Hi sensor,
Don't know if it can help you, my suggestion is to take a look at the service manual, downloadable from this address: http://www.casiosk1.com/
You have go to the schematic's page and follow the drum signal trace coming out from the CPU and pick it up after the amplifier section; solder it to the female jack's tip and solder the sleeve to circuit's ground.
I don't know if anyone knows the way to trigger the drum's signal from an external source...

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:36:26 PM »

Not about outputs, but I had some thoughts on the SK-1 today.

I got my first commission, which I'm super excited about, to make an Sk-1 with a breakout box of 25 switches.  In the past I've arranged the switches with each row working best with a particular sound (Row 1 piano, 2 human voice, 3 synth drums, 4 both organs, 5 pops and loops).
I'm doing that again, but it recently occurred to me to make the columns signify something as well, so I've got the bends arranged from the most musical on the left to the noisiest on the right.  I highly recommend this method of organization if you're using a bunch of switches.  It makes the playing much easier, and while the whole sound in generally pretty unpredictable, you have a general idea of which way it's going to go.

If anyone is interested in my bend points, I'd be happy to post them.

dok

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »

This is indeed a brilliant idea! Since I plan to bend my sk1 and use it with my band, this approach is very interesting!
I'd love to know your bend points  ;D

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »

I don't have the board in front of me right now, as I am at work, but I'll check it out this evening and post here. 

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »

Here it is.

With the board exposed and the keys facing towards you, look at the three big chips.  Starting with the upper left pin on the leftmost chip, number the pins 1-14, going down the chip.  Number the pins going down the right side of the chip 15-28 (15 top, 28 bottom).  The next chip has only one pin that isn’t a duplicate of a point on the first chip.  That pin is the third from the top on the left side.  Label that point A.  The third chip has four points that aren’t duplicates.  The second and third points down from the top on the left side, call B and C respectively.  The seventh point down on the left is D and the first point on the right side is E.

With me so far?

I’ve arranged 25 switches in rows of five.  The first row are all bends for the piano setting.  Second is Human Voice, third is Synth Drums, fourth is Brass Ensemble, and fifth is for rhythms and the casiochord setting.  While the bends in each row work best on the setting specified, each bend will also work with at least three other voices, and sometimes more.

piano (3,8) (21,22) (5,20) (4,21) (1,10)
human voice (1, C) (13, D) (1,17) (10, 15) (10,22)
Synth Drums (1,14) ( 1,11) (11, 7) (10, 14) (14, B)
Brass Ensemble (1,4) (1,6) (4,17) (10,7) (12,5)
Chord/Rhythm (20,21) (4,6) (8,20) (H,K) (G,J)

Then I’ve got an Atari joystick with 4 as the common point.   It goes (4,6) (4,11) (4,20) (4,A) (4,27)

Let me know if you have any questions.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 02:46:09 AM »

I forgot to mention that points G,H, and K are on the small chip that controls the drum volume.  Label that one FGH on one side and IJK on the other.

dok

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »

Thanks a lot for your answer ! As I do not plan to have as many switches as you, I'l try to make a selection.
Thanks once again that will be very usefull to me.

strssmmnt

• Way to much time on his hands
    • soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »

that's brilliant!!! Really useful!

/strssmmnt

www.myspace.com/stressmoment