Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PSS-480 corrupted Style list?  (Read 6343 times)

stuntmaster

PSS-480 corrupted Style list?
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:34:08 PM »

Sorry if this has already been emntioned before but hope you guys can help...

I managed to scupper one of these for a mere £8 at a cash generator store. It's lost its box, manual, battery cover and original power lead.

Upon getting a new power pack, it loads and plays just fine. However the Style list section appears to be damaged. It's like fuzzy sort of sound.

Well anything percussion, sounds like terrible distortion and not the clear sound I should be expecting. the voice area is fine. as is the synth part. MIDI works and I have done some sysex work and it operates fine.

so what could be the cure? another straight dump from another PSS-480? (or compatiable) or is it a circuit issue?.

Any help really much appreciated.

I found this via google. So I think you guys will know way more than I!

Any help much appreciated!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: PSS-480 corrupted Style list?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »

Upon getting a new power pack, it loads and plays just fine. However the Style list section appears to be damaged. It's like fuzzy sort of sound.

Loads and plays fine? You mean it powers on?

Any chance of a sample of the noise it makes?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

stuntmaster

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »

yes sorry, switches on lovelly.  tempo shows 120, bank 00 i can press yellow and say enter 50 and it'll change fine. I can press start/stop and it'll play the melody correctly but just sounds distorted.

then say i stop that i can goto green and enter a voice. that'll change fine also. and the notes I hit on the keys play fine i hear the voices superbly.

MIDI works. FL Studio reacts fine, My ESI-32 reacts fine. using SysEx97 did a sysex dump to the synth keyboard and that worked also and was able to play the dumped song back albeit with working voices but corrupted Styles.

It's really odd. I mean the KB is in pretty good condition, all keys are clean and shiny, all buttons work fine, no signs of wear. Display works fine also (no broken segments). headphone output fine also, volume slider operates fine too. Smooth and no sound crackles.

the mini synth editor also works fine, messed about with it and got the sound to change.

I know the style list is basically PCM format I think.

I will record a sample for you so you get a better idea. It'll be a short youtube vid so you can see it. I'll have that up later.

stuntmaster

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »

Also As we are at it, what mods are avaliable for this unit?

(oh btw Im not scared to open it up to have a look I have repaired many consoles in my time inc that sega megadrive)

stuntmaster

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »

well heres he vid with the sound.

104_0656.MOV