Circuitbenders Forum > Circuitbending discussion

ok some total noob-ish question(s) here (sorry!)

(1/2) > >>

geigercounter120:
i've read some descriptions of bent instruments online and Ive seen mention of people using a db25 port...
what exactly would they use this for?
am i right in thinking that every (or a number of) pin(s) on an IC can be wired&soldered to the pins on the db25... then the other end of the cable/port can be used to connect to patch-bays etc...
does this sound right?

cheers 

Chris

;D

Circuitbenders:
If you wanted to wire up a patchbay or a big bank of switches and there wasn't enough room to mount them inside the case you could mount them in an external box and connect the patchbay box and the main unit together with a multiway D type connector.

Every wire that would normally go to a patchbay connection on the main unit instead goes to a D connector socket and links up with the corresponding pin on the D socket on the external patchbay case via the multiway cable.

I'm sure I've just explained that in a far more tricky way that strictly necessary but you get the general idea

Circuitbenders:
Oh, and soldering together a 25 way connector with all the wiring is for an external patchbay box one of the least amusing things you will ever do.........

The Horror!  >:(

geigercounter120:

--- Quote from: Circuitbenders on July 25, 2006, 03:52:56 AM ---Oh, and soldering together a 25 way connector with all the wiring is for an external patchbay box one of the least amusing things you will ever do.........

The Horror!  >:(

--- End quote ---
haha! i can imagine  :-\

papaspank:
And the huge question is this....

WHY BOTHER?!?!!?!?!

Simply get some serious  mutil-core (like the kind they have for joysticks or anything with many connections), some little glands(no - NOT NADS the cable hold sort you see on anything with a lead going into a metal/plastic box to stop you from ripping the cable out) and an external box to put all you patchbays/controls in to...

and there you go, without running the risk of loosing one part of your unit and trying to find it, without any success. :(

AS an added bonus - it will cost you a wad less in parts then.  ;D

Leaving more ca$h to buy more tat to mutilate ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version