Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Circuit bent Furby! [pics + video]  (Read 12714 times)

kick52

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Circuit bent Furby! [pics + video]
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »

My Nan found a Furby going cheap at a car boot sale she went to, and gave it to me. I've skinned it, bent it, painted it and I've added an external box for bends. There are two glitch switches 1 (hold + glitch) and 1 (glitch + glitch), an LED linked up to the speaker (currently disabled as it makes it too quiet) and a 1/4" output jack. The video will be up soon but until then here are some pics:

Silas

Re: Circuit bent Furby! [pics + video]
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:19:49 PM »

Aahh funny, I'm just in the middle of experimenting with one of those mini plushie furbies from Macdonalds. This thing has something going for it.. CRAZY sounds, considering it's a black blob, I tell you.. Will record it later..

Anyways, we wan't video of that thing.. Have you found any mechanical glitches?

kick52

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »

Aahh funny, I'm just in the middle of experimenting with one of those mini plushie furbies from Macdonalds. This thing has something going for it.. CRAZY sounds, considering it's a black blob, I tell you.. Will record it later..

Anyways, we wan't video of that thing.. Have you found any mechanical glitches?

Don't worry, the video is coming as soon as I get my memory card back.
Mechanical glitches? Well in some glitches it will operate the motors randomly like it is saying something.. You'll see on the video.

kick52

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »

The video IS HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxl_frRI6Qs

Lots of glitchy sounds and there are also some strange drum beats in there. I modified one of the switches so now the second one has a glitch/hold position. It holds the machine and also glitches it. You can use this with the normal hold to move to the next sound, so it's quite cool.

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »

haha ! very funny :D
i liked thisone also :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNfBZTz2xQ&feature=related

kick52

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:06:49 PM »

I found a secret Furby diagnostic mode.

It's not that exciting, though it's nice and easy to make nice bleepy beat loops and glitches with bends.
To get to it, get Furby on and hold down his stomach and back button and then press reset. It will beep when you do different things.

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »

Disturbies rock.

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 11:11:01 PM »

Google about for "furby hacking" - they communicate with other furbies using infrared, which you can spoof with a suitable IR LED hooked up to a computer.  There was a guy selling modified car central locking plips (Peugeot, Citroen, Renault  and Rover used IR plips) with a specially-programmed chip that sent "shut up and go to sleep now" to furbies for about 40 quid a few years back - bet that was a hit with Mums and Dads everywhere...
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

kick52

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 11:31:41 PM »

Google about for "furby hacking" - they communicate with other furbies using infrared, which you can spoof with a suitable IR LED hooked up to a computer.  There was a guy selling modified car central locking plips (Peugeot, Citroen, Renault  and Rover used IR plips) with a specially-programmed chip that sent "shut up and go to sleep now" to furbies for about 40 quid a few years back - bet that was a hit with Mums and Dads everywhere...

Cool.

My circuit bent furby was talking to a normal furby. The bent one was glitching. After a bit, the normal one started glitching too
It was completely awesome. I tried it again later and the normal furby went into debug/diagnostic mode, so they must have a way to test them with an IR signal.