Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Would you mod?  (Read 6074 times)

asciwhite

Would you mod?
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »

Hi guys,

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this. I have a mint (and I mean mint a1 condition) red Roland sh101 and was considering modding it.

Question is, how much damage to its value would modding create and would it be worth the effort?

Cheers,

A

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Would you mod?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »

If you are more concerned about its monetary value as opposed to its value as a musical tool, why not just sell it and buy a more battered grey one to mod?

Why would making it into an instrument with far more potential lower its value in either respect?  :-\
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

asciwhite

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »

Poor choice of words on my part.

Yes there is a little concern over what value it may have after modding but thats more to do with my wife killing me for giving i  to the temptation. I guess what I'm askin is whether the mods are good enough when it comes to increasing the sonic palette of the 101. Not had the option to test one first hand, and listening to samples will only ever get you a narrow idea of the capabilities.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »

Musically the FM mod on its own makes modding the thing worthwhile. You can get a vast new range of sounds from it. The filter overdrive can also produce some excellent dirty sounds and its always handy to have an external audio input on an analogue.

I guess if it was anything other than a mint condition red one i'd say that modding it would add at least £250 to the monetary value, if not more. The problem is that with an absolutely mint condition red one you've probably already nearly hit the ceiling of what anyone would pay for ANY kind of 101, modified or otherwise. You could probably sell a mint condition red one and buy a fully modded grey one for roughly the same price!

Realistically a red 101 is no different to a grey one in any respect other than a pretty case and rarity value. In your position i'd definitely consider selling the red one and getting a grey one to mod. Having said that, i'd also find it virtually impossible to part with a red one  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

asciwhite

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

Thanks mate, couldn't have asked for a better response.

It was a hard decision to buy this over a more aged grey one.

In the end the condition and rarity factor got the better of me.

Cheers...

lazydog

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »

as a longtime owner of a grey one (which has changed colour towards khaki recently!!!)
i'd say if you did the Novamod, you'd simply have a better synth. are you thinking of
flogging it? if not, get it done; mine was 160quid, they all were at the time, you could
get mc202s for the same price. i hate to think of mine as having some big monetary
value, and i've always looked after it carefully regardless. mine has always had a little mod
anyway, a key transpose hold switch or something.