Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bending the Yamaha EMT-10  (Read 5874 times)

gert

Bending the Yamaha EMT-10
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »

I have this nice but boring Yamaha EMT-10 in my archive, from what i've heard it is ideal for bending. how do you start, shortcircuit D/A converters, re-route adress/datalines from wavetables to various points, any hints? i would like to have a bit more extreme lowfi sound, but not really all these random glitches. Will start bending soon and report my findings here.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Bending the Yamaha EMT-10
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »

messing with the converters will just give you horrible distortion i'd imagine. I'd probably start by reclocking it, then trying shorting the ROM chip pins etc.

I actually bought an EMT10 by accident the other week. I was wanting the drum module.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

gert

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:58 AM »

Thanks for the help.

I once shorted the D/A converters on a kawai R-100 and i quite liked the resulting lofi sound, will try to poke around in the EMT-10 soon.

gert

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 07:35:54 PM »

ok i just started it, after all that is my first real circuit bending project...

the emt-10 has quite some chips in there and the possibilities seem endless, also it has a very nice protective circuit that switches it off instantly when things go wrong, once it boots up again (sometimes needs power off) it works normally. i did try not to short 5vdc to ground obviously, but all the other things (short-circuiting pins, bridging one to the other) it survived so far. so it is not really an issue that the data sheets for the chips are hard to find, but it possibly takes some weeks to find the good spots unless you have experience ;)