Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help normalizing volume levels of my new toy?  (Read 8009 times)

stolenfat

Help normalizing volume levels of my new toy?
« on: June 01, 2007, 09:12:01 PM »

First time posting...

Im working on a new project, which is absolutely amazing.  Its my best circuit bending project yet.
The glory of the whole thing comes from a telecaster pick up i wired into the toy so it kinda reacts theramin style to metal objects.  You can even put an acoustic guitar next to it and it will pick up the variations in the strings and effect the sound thusly. 

Just one problem, out put levels.   It makes amazing noises at low volume levels, but often cranks out lots of burps and fuzz at MUCH higher outputs.  I was wondering if there was some way out evening out the volume levels by adding [SOMETHING] between the connection of the line out and the speaker wires.  I'd appreciate any suggestions to avoid turning the amp down when i can tell the toy is going to change levels.

Also, if there's interest i can post recordings/pictures of my new creation, recently dubbed the calamaphone.

iqoruvuc

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: Help normalizing volume levels of my new toy?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:15:14 AM »

I don't know if this helps....if you took the output from disconnecting a speaker, you sometime need to keep aresistor in place of the speaker, for instance an 8 or 16 ohm resistor or as close to the impedance of speaker you can get.

stolenfat

Re: Help normalizing volume levels of my new toy?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:31:48 PM »

i tried that.  I stole some resistors from an old radio circuit board, have no clue what there ohm resistance is, but i connected a few in a chain to my line out.  It seemed to help a little bit and reduced some other clicks and pops, but it still is pretty random with the output levels.  Thanks for the reply!