Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gakken SX-150  (Read 16849 times)

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
Gakken SX-150
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »

Just modified a Gakken sx-150 anlog synth. Its possible to make the filter self oscilate and use the LFO to modulate the filter cut off point. the input is a frequency to voltage (high pitch = higher voltage) which can be tapped as a seperate output so a theremin or any synth can be used for volatge controll. theres probably a lot more but i gave up. click on the pick to goto my Flickr page were i have lableled the bend points and Enjoy

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:01:18 PM by matt the modulator »
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Bendables

• Bendables
Re: Gakken SX-150
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »

I want one!

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

they are getting exspensive now some are advertised on ebay for £60! i paid around £35 inculuding postage form japan. The schematic is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_the_modulator/3369071990/sizes/l/in/set-72157609013413720/ looking at your webpage i think you have the parts  ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:14:46 PM by matt the modulator »
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:49:49 AM »

That's a really *horrible* filter design.  I bet that is really properly crappy and distorted.

Hmm, I feel a bit of breadboarding coming on...
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:24:26 AM »

That's a really *horrible* filter design.  I bet that is really properly crappy and distorted.

Hmm, I feel a bit of breadboarding coming on...

yeh its simple lo-fi filter but it does have quite a dramatic low pass cut of effect. i have bread-boarded and used a 9v supply, i found i had to change the resistor that feeds an inicial voltage to the base of the transitors (for less voltage i think). The output op-amp stage can be turned into a orverdrive clipper (1meg pot) well it allready is ! i cant remember what changes i made i decided to make the low pass filter by tim escobedo instead much better. let me know if find a good hack of the circuit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:56:19 PM by matt the modulator »
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »

One interesting thing is that the voltage applied to the bases of  Q4 and Q5 control the current through them, and therefore the cutoff, but the voltage on the emitter (from the VCO) will *also* change Q4's conditions.  So you'll get the cutoff modulated a bit by the VCO, rather like the filters in early MS20s and the like.

The big advantage of the Moog ladder design was that the control voltage and input voltage balanced, so the input signal didn't "pull" the cutoff.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »

ive had a play about with the gaken SX-150 filter circuit and have found a rather usefull CV controlled low pass filter that runs on 6v :D great for putting in Hing-hon ek-001 and all other 6v keyboard's  casio SA series ;)  anyway here's my tested and working schematic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_the_modulator/3890263959/#
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:13:01 PM by matt the modulator »
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Tyler1144

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »

I saw a vid of one of those on youtube hooked upto a sony "my first sony" or something. it sounded pretty cool lol. Was it yours matt?

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »

I saw a vid of one of those on youtube hooked upto a sony "my first sony" or something. it sounded pretty cool lol. Was it yours matt?
Nah Not mine iam waiting for PC conector for my camera then ile put some stuff up hopefully
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

jamiewoody

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »

i got mine! ;-)

i opened the box, that is it so far. i found a magazine with nice photos, and fun to look at, even if i cannot read it!
the 'zine apperently contains nearly the whole history of the synthesizer, and almost EVERY commercial synth version! nice, framable photos of keith emerson, and other artist...articles on bob moog, devo....innovators and artists. i'll bet the magazine cost more to produce than the synth did! lol!

something which impressed upon me was a high quality printout of the pcb...as if they WANT people to copy the board and build one of these from "scratch"! ;-)

anyhow, i am PSYCHED to say the least! ;-) i may use the same keyset i am using for my stylophone keyboard. do you think i can get 3 octaves out of this thing?

i'll post my findings...
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

jamiewoody

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »

matt the mod, did you ever take the images of your mod on this? i want to bend mine, but i thought i'd look at some examples first.

i think i'd like to get that midi kit from beatbik for both this and my monotron.

also, something i discovered...there are lots of sweetspots, just poking the stylus at the circuit board in different spots! ;-)

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »

i posted these notes up on flickR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_the_modulator/3375768994/#
hope you find them usefull

there are loads bends points and different ways to bend these beasties great fun
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

jamiewoody

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »

i might try these bends.

funny, on the box, there is a print of the circuit board pattern, like they want people to copy the boards!

personally, i think my sx-150 is lame, and i don't see what the fuss is all about. it sounds weak. also, the filter input jack does not seem to work.