Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rather bizarre screws...That, of course, piss me off.  (Read 9301 times)

Katzebar

Rather bizarre screws...That, of course, piss me off.
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:14:38 AM »

Alright, so I'm fairly new to circuit bending, (Have yet to bend anything, but I plan on it,) and since I work as an audio engineer...well, most, if not everything I could possibly need I already have, except this damn little screw type I've never really seen before.

I had the urge to start to dissect a Gameboy Color that I had lying around to see if I couldn't get anything out of it, and while I have a gut feeling I probably won't get anything terribly interesting out of it, if anything at all, the only real hindrance from me finding out is this stupid kind of screw. It's not completely unlike a Tri-Wing, but it's a little different, and I don't even have the proper head for the previous screw, let alone the one on the fricking gameboy. I have flathead, philips, and hex screwdrivers in every size known to man, but I don't have this one.

Normally, I'd just cut the fricking thing off with my Dremel, but two screws are in positions that prevent me from doing so without slicing an article of the circuit board off, and the other I can't do without slicing into the gameboy speaker, which I would like to leave intact.

So, simple question: is this the dreaded star screw that is on all of the TI equipment? Regardless, does anyone know where I can get the proper screwdriver for it? Never seen anything like it in Home Depot or anything of the like.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Rather bizarre screws...That, of course, piss me off.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:19:51 PM »

you need one of these http://www.mod-chip.com/en/gba_screwdriver.php don't you. Or something similar.

The gameboy helpfully uses 'security screws' which is a major pain in the arse, pretty damn secure though

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Katzebar

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 06:01:45 PM »

Hm. The website says GBA, not GBC. I doubt that Nintendo would switch screws on us in upgrading their gameboy lineup, but I'm not entirely sure. Normally, I wouldn't even care and just slice the damn screws off and create a new metal backing for it anyway when I'm done, but the circuitry is in the way.

Thanks anyway. I plan on favoriting that, and next I have some loose change in me pocket, I'll buy one.

Right now, I just shifted to a different project (bending a finicky Kawai MS500,) but I'll definately return to working on the GBC once I get said screwdrivers.

kit.music

I never knew.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 08:48:16 PM »

Well IŽll be. All three of my gameboys (One large grey, one large transparent and one small transparent) have those super-weird three wing screws. That is crazy. My heart goes out to you. Hope it works out.

/kit.music

ne7

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • ne7 web
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 10:58:07 PM »

u can get these on EBAY...

if i remember right - the screws are the same as a SNES... so look for SNES and gamebit or something... really easy to open them up once u get the right bit...

plus its kinda easy to mod most of the old consoles - lots of fun adding 60hz mode etc to old snes's - they look so much better :)

your best bet on the gameboy is getting a copy of Little Sound DJ or a flash cart and/or Carillion Tracker / CNCD tho then you can write tunes on the go... Carrillion is ace btw...

ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net