Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Creating a digital data output on a digital synth: Possible?  (Read 4152 times)

edugr

Helo! This is my first post at the forum, I'm totally new to bending so I hope you be patient with me ;)

I just got a YAMAHA PSS 480 and I'm wondering if it is possible to create something like a digital output from it, so that I could connect it to a PC and capture digital wave data directly... I just wonder if it could be possible. I'm a computer programmer so I can handle all the computer-side programming once I get the digital data from the keyboard to a port, but I don't have any idea if this thing I'm talking about is just an "ilusion" or if its actually possible.

Any clue?

Thanks in advance!!!

Ed

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: Creating a digital data output on a digital synth: Possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »

Kind of.  IIRC the PSS480 uses a separate DAC and OPL-family sound chip.  You can pick off the serial data going to the DAC and come up with some means of capturing it into the PC, where you can decode it into audio.

A really slick way to do it would be to get some sort of fast microcontroller (LPC11U14 springs to mind) to grab the PCM stream and turn it into audio, and spit the resulting samples out over USB pretending to be a generic usb-audio sound card.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

edugr

Re: Creating a digital data output on a digital synth: Possible?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:19:14 AM »

Helo Gordon, thanks for your reply!
This is getting interesting... again, this is totally new for me, it's somewhat challenging but I'm going for it for sure...

I'm at the moment reading about that chip and how to program it, seems I can do it.

Would you give me some reccomendations for picking off the serial data going to the DAC without breaking or burning anything on my PSS 480?

Again, thanks for your help... I'm pretty excited about this stuff !

Cheers