Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: vss-200 noise issue  (Read 6067 times)

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
vss-200 noise issue
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »

I removed one of the speakers from my vss-200 to fit a plate with mods on, this is the first vss-200 I have worked with

when I connect the keyboard via the stereo headphones out to a mixing desk or other unit I get a horrible electric hum around 200 - 400hz is there any way to fix this? did I cause it? I simply removed the speaker so there is now a broken connection on the circuit board that would have connected it - a friend of mine said this would be fine but I'm wondering if there is a build up of current or something that would normally have been balanced by the speaker. Or is the headphones out just shite?

I have a vss-30 that I put a really poorly done magnetic patch bay on, but that doesn't suffer the same way, however it does sound a little more noisey when you hit notes than it did before i tinkered with it

any tips would be greatly appreciated as I have a gig on the 28th and I think the hosts are expecting me to use some of my toys - the vss would be great cus I could send audio out from my computer to be garbled lo-fi diy style

SH+
yum, plastic sinewaves

Gleix

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: vss-200 noise issue
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »

If it only was a problem after you did the mods you might be getting interference between wires, that's happened on a few keyboards I've bent.  You could try using shielded wire and replacing any of the wires that are "leaking" electricity to the other ones.

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:41:17 PM »

If it only was a problem after you did the mods you might be getting interference between wires, that's happened on a few keyboards I've bent.  You could try using shielded wire and replacing any of the wires that are "leaking" electricity to the other ones.

ahh what a disaster, that's going to take ages :(

cheers for the tip though, I thought non-shielded wire would be ok but I guess the sample chip is dealing with audio signals

thanks
yum, plastic sinewaves

noystoise

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:33:31 AM »

have you tried a pull-down resistor? maybe 1-10k? the speaker was probably a 4 or 8 ohm speaker that acted like a filter. i think you're supposed to run a resistor from the out put to the ground. it seems like you would want one that is the same as the speaker, like a 8ohm 2 watt or something. i had this problem too  on the last sk1 i bent, but that was years ago and i cant remember what i did to solve the problem. good luck.