Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Casio SK - velocity sensitive keys possible?  (Read 11373 times)

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
Casio SK - velocity sensitive keys possible?
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »

Hey everyone,

I just thought of an interesting idea. Since the SK samplers operate their voice ADSR envelopes using a simple CV line for each voice from the processor, and the maximum voltage of that CV signal determines the volume of the VCA, it would theoretically be possible to attenuate or boost that CV maximum voltage "on the fly".

I was thinking of how it might be done, by imagining some kind of velocity or pressure resistance switch added to the keys that basically put a variable resistance in series with each CV line. And so if you strike a key slowly, it throws a higher resistance in the CV line, and so a quieter note is played. Hit it harder, and the resistance is lower, and the louder the note. Actually, if a pressure switch was used, it would create aftertouch. This actually seems easier to do than velocity (I'm thinking of cheap, easily bought available parts here) as pressure conductive rubber sheeting is readily available.

Has anyone got some thoughts on this? it would be pretty strange to have an SK with a velocity or aftertouch keyboard  :D

Cheers, Graham

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Casio SK - velocity sensitive keys possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »

The theory is sound but the question remains, why would you want to?

I think that might fall under the catagory of 'over engineering'  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:05:14 AM »

It feeds my obsessive compulsive behaviour in making my SK8 have every feature and gadget imaginable hehe ;D

Cheers, Graham

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »

Some of those repetitive sputtery glitches would sound fantastic with some increased control, particularly the stuff that comes off the 'skew' point on the far right of the board.

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 07:45:28 AM »

Well, you know, the more I think about it, there are stacks of simple things that can be done along the lines of what I've mentioned.

Using the pressure sensitive resistance rubber, you can easly replace a pot that may be in your bend points, so that pressing the rubber strip causes the bend to activate pregressively like aftertouch. You can even glue a button on top of the strip directly to make a convenient function button!

Cheers, graham

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:10 AM »

That's actually how the aftertouch in a lot of synths works.  In the Roland JX-8P for example, there is a strip under the keys at the front of the keybed.  This has (from the bottom up) a piece of circuit board with two "tram lines" along it (imagine two strips of veroboard, without the holes), a strip of conductive rubber, and then a strip of metal foil.  The whole thing is sealed over with plastic tape to keep it clean and dry and keep it together.  Google for "JX-8P aftertouch repair" or some such combination for diagrams and advice.

Velocity sensitivity is a bit more complicated, and relies on timing how long it takes for the key to go from "up" to "down".
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

PolyPhuckin

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:17:12 AM »

While having a search through Maplin the other day, i came across these weird little things, Quantum Tunnels.
They look perfect for creating aftertouch pads.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=44202&doy=27m8

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:11:14 AM »

Actually, they are exactly the perfect thing for it. And at about $3 each, the price is right, too!!

Cheers, Graham

PolyPhuckin

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:58 AM »

this would be an awesome mod if it can be pulled off  ;D
What would you attach them to? filter cutoff would be good.

Would love to see the results.

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 05:00:03 AM »

Well, I initially had imagined them being attached to the SK internal envelope CV lines, to control the velocity/aftertouch, but the world is your oyster now hehe!! Any bend point that was previously controlled by a pot or resistor will respond with this, in the same way the photoresistor "theremin" mods are done. The filter cutoff on my Phat Philter Bank mod could be controlled with it also.

Cheers, Graham