Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dead S&S  (Read 11921 times)

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
Dead S&S
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »

I got a speak and spell off of that soul-sucking pit known as ebay and it's keypad matrix is f*ckered. I found an on/off bend on the circuit and a few glitches, but other than that it seems to be a pointless endeavour.  is there any advice to remedy this or should i just condemn the unit to the firey depths of... a fire?  Any help/advice/death threats would be appreciated.

papaspank

Re: Dead S&S
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 01:53:27 AM »

Oh DEAR!!! how funless for you..

I sympathise - really. Years ago I had an accident with a keyboard on an old MSX computer... dammed gravity...

Anyway. About your problem, and the above bit was related to it.

There may be a solution...

assuming that there's actually some dammage to the board in question. (ie the bit with the keyboard matrix on it)

Firstly - get a small basic circuit tester, the kind you get from maplins for about 10-15 quid should be more than enough.

use the said tester to see if there's any voltage/current/electric at all going across the keyboard matrix.

If not - the find out where along the line has this activilty stopped..

This is the awkward bit !!

where this break is occuring, get a very  VERY fine file, and remove the a bit of the covering on the circuit board from the offending tracks.

Next - get youself some soldering flux (the solder with it inside is ok - but I find flux is most effective on freshly cleaned exposed copper track) and with this and solder, tin the bit of offending track.

Now - assuming you're on a part of the track that isn't intterupted by the presence of a component
, simply make a jump over the bit off dammage/malfunction using a fine-gauged peice of insulated electrical wire.

Repeat these steps, until  you can find no-more useless/dammaged points when testing.

When this is done - you should've effectivley by-passed the dammaged areas, thus making it useable.

HOWEVER this, of course assumes that the problem is cracked/dammaged tracks on the circuit board...

If it's something more obscure - then this advice isn't of much use :(

But if I'm right - hope it helps..

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 02:59:34 AM »

thank you for your sage-like advice.  I removed the keypad from the front cover and pretty much all the circuit has corroded and it's a crying shame.  I've managed to find some parts on the main pcb that can still cause some noise and random glitches, but it's very tempermental and crashes frequently.  I think it can still be used on a more basic capacity though.  I might just have to add some smaller circuits to the box just to fill out the sounds.

I'm quite interested in wiring it to my S&M but i'm not sure where to start on that one  :-\

Thanks again for the advice.

manmachine

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 10:33:15 PM »

all may not be lost ! try this link -  http://www.sailormouth.org/index2.php?pg=cbender.inc

it has details for replacing the keypad with rotary switches - good luck !

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 11:28:54 AM »

that looks like it's gonna melt my brain... I'll give it a go!
Thanks for the referral  ;D

I'll let you know how it goes.

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:08:52 AM »

IT LIVES!!!!

After 4 hours of bad soldering and bong hits, i got the rotary switches soldered and in (close to) working order. Hurrah!

Thanks manmachine for the web info.

Luka

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »

thanks this was what i was extacly looking for

i was cutting a whole to fit a patch bay of wire clips and i think i accidently filed the membrane.
hope this works

hey i was looking for the on/off mod, could you please link a file or give some info
cheers
;luka

Luka

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »

actually that schematic solved the problem cheers

Luka

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 01:12:56 PM »

hmm not sure this works, any ideas on the on/off switch mod would still be helpful