Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: i broke my vss-30  (Read 5351 times)

tuckertota

i broke my vss-30
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »

i think i fried something in my yamaha vss-30 while poking around for possible bends. i'm fairly new to bending but i've had no problems bending any of my other keyboards or drum machines. guess i didn't realize i could permanently damage an instrument by simply connecting two points, stupid me.

at this point, i can't get any sounds pressing the keys. i'm pretty sure it still turns on because the speaker makes a noise when i turn the power on and off. Also the speaker hums and hums louder as i raise the volume. i  checked around with a multimeter and there is power flowing through different parts, but i'm not proficient enough with this type of thing to figure out where the problem might be. i've tried batteries and power supply and plugging the line out into a speaker.

also, the big chip on the board has started to get really hot after a few minutes of power. i'm not sure if the chip itself is bad or something else is bad and is making the chip overheat. or maybe it always got hot and i just never noticed.

i just don't want to have to buy another one of these keyboards. thanks.

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
Re: i broke my vss-30
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:54:27 PM »

I think iam right in thinking there are only two chips in the vss-30 the smaller one is the ram for the samples ive fried one very easly i cant find my notes but it was conecting one the the corner pins to another ?? but my keyboard worked apart from the sampling function.
ive also completety killed a vss30 touching the big chip  :( just once and that was it totally dead???? hense there are more expensive to buy as we have all fried at least one! i know this doesnt help and i hope you get it sorted if not welcome to the vss30 fryers club 8)
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
Re: i broke my vss-30
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:18:45 AM »

I didn't fry mine but I did such a horrible job of my VSS-30 i tried to make a magnetic patchbay and it all went pretty wrong and looks rubbish  :D
yum, plastic sinewaves