Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yamaha PSR-260 salvage  (Read 5449 times)

Timodon

• Way to much time on his hands
Yamaha PSR-260 salvage
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »

Hey guys

I've just picked up a Yamaha PSR-260 it's an absolute monster. unfortunately the previous owner has put their foot right through it, causing damage to the almost all of the circuit boards inside. Hooked up to a battery the screen lights up and the speakers make a clicking noise, pressing buttons and keys has no effect at the moment.

I'm fairly sure it'll never work again - BUT the really big chip - XY435B0 - on it seems to be intact, as is the keyboard mechanism itself which seems to be self-contained with it's own undamaged circuit board (looks like a resistance ladder?). It lifts away from the rest of the housing fairly easily. It seems to output on two ribbon controllers.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'm gonna google that chip and see what I come up with but anyone any experience with cannibalising this sort of chip or keyboard mechanism? It would be great If I could knock something together as they both look like quality components and it would be a shame to waste them!

Timodon

Re: Yamaha PSR-260 salvage
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »

OK that chip number was wrong - it appears to be M27V160 which according to the datasheet I've just downloaded is a  low voltage 16 Mbit EPROM - I'm a bit out of my depth here! Is this the chip where the sounds are and does anyone think it would be possible to build a circuit around it using the salvaged keyboard that would enable me to play those sounds again? Or is this a lost cause and I'd be better off ebaying the chip for someone to use as a spare?

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »

push the bits of board together, and start bridging broken tracks?

You could figure out a way of reading out the ROM and using the samples in another project, possibly some weird mutant synth plugin sample player.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Timodon

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:32:14 PM »

Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking Gordon but I don't have a clue where to start with this chip - I've downloaded the datasheet but I don't really understand what most of it means. There are a few other chips as well that I haven't looked up yet.

Sadly I think the damage to the boards is too much for my basic soldering skills to rescue simply by trying to bridge the gaps - the board with all the contacts for the buttons is actually broken in half and the main board with the chips on doesn't look too pretty either. I suppose I can't make it any worse....

One plus though is the keyboard - it's completely intact and the PSR260 has midi in and out ports, maybe I can build myself a midi keyboard!