Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for people to collaborate with for an experimental sound event (UK)  (Read 11445 times)

justindeloop

• justindeloop

Hi guys, im new here but this seems like the right place to do this...  :)

Im looking for anyone located in or near london who has experience with circuit bending, experimental music, electronics or creating 'sound art' pieces and would like to collaborate with some chill dudes to work on a performance-based art/design exhibition that will happen on the 19/20th Sept in Deptford, (South East London).

We have some more detailed information on the event at http://24hrdesignandmake.co.uk which will tell you about the dates, space, who is involved and so on.

I am in charge of the 'sound' aspect of the event and currently we only have two guys including myself - im hoping to have 4 or 5 really. My own personal sound work comprises of a lot of circuit bent stuff, feedback loops, distortion, modifying computers/programming and magnetic tape mayhem. Examples of the things id hope to experiment with for this event would be modifying the speakers/mics on mobile phones and creating very large-scale tape loops that will stay recording/playing throughout the whole event. But the whole ethos of the event is experimentation and improvisation - which is why circuit benders fits in so well...

In terms of volunteers we're not looking for any particular skills or qualifications, just enthusiasm and a bit of experience.

Its kinda hard to describe what we hope to achieve with this event - but if you think you might be interested or have any questions then ask away.

I think it will be a lot of fun and with any luck will produce some interesting work at the end!

thanks for reading,

Tom

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat

I'm definitely interested, but I'm so computer based in terms of writing music, I'm not sure if I'd be suitable. It certainly sounds like an interesting challenge.

justindeloop

• justindeloop

what ill probably end up doing is frantically buying a whole load of junk like a day before the event and then trying to mash it all together into a beautiful loud monster. looking more to create stand-alone noise/aleatronic pieces than finished compositions... but depending on what happens in the day we may decide to put on a live performance if what we create turns out to be more.... instrumental 

the whole 24hr time limit means trying to source stuff 'on the day' is gonna be a hassle so ill probs also need some help getting hold of stuff and coming up with some possible ideas.

in terms of suitability you probably have more circuit bending experience than i do - i wanna try to keep it as casual as possible so as i said, if you got enthusiasm and some idea of how to make interesting sounds out of junk then... cool

• Closer to the meat

Given enough toys, keyboards and other audio junk I'm sure I could create some twisted noise creating monster. I could bring enough components to make some atari punk consoles on the day. Old walkmans make quite interesting distortion boxes and making contact mics out of old telephones and head phones would be a definite yes. I could bring components and some dead machines to scavange, though I'd be travelling on teh train from southampton so that'll be a challenge in its self

kick52

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation

Given enough toys, keyboards and other audio junk I'm sure I could create some twisted noise creating monster. I could bring enough components to make some atari punk consoles on the day. Old walkmans make quite interesting distortion boxes and making contact mics out of old telephones and head phones would be a definite yes. I could bring components and some dead machines to scavange, though I'd be travelling on teh train from southampton so that'll be a challenge in its self

You're in Southampton as well? :O
Might've seen you at some point, hehe.

• Closer to the meat
Re: Looking for people to collaborate with for an experimental sound event (UK)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:17:36 PM »

I can't get the time off work. I asked but there were just too many others in teh team off at the same time. Sorry to have to pull out mate, I was looking forward to this.

justindeloop

• justindeloop
Re: Looking for people to collaborate with for an experimental sound event (UK)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »

dang, that sucks.. sorry i havent been in contact ive been a bit busy building the actual venue for this thing, pretty epic

ive got a couple more potential volunteers though so hopefully ill be able to pull a good team together by the 19th.

actually im thinking of putting on another purely circuit bending/audio based event sometime in the future so i guess ill let you (& the forums) know if anything materializes from that...