Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Casio SA-21  (Read 24066 times)

goldenbaby

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Casio SA-21
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »

Bright, pretty robustly functioned keyboard.  I love the drum pads, but can't see myself using more than a handful or two of the 100 tones in the bank.  I poked around briefly but didn't find anything very reliable or awesome, but there's got to be something kicking around here, at least a pitching bend or some distortion.  If I can get some distorted low frequency playability out of these keys, then I'll put on some strap pegs as well, for live usage.

I know Casios are classics, but I've heard very little about the Casio SA-21, though it has similarities to someo f the others SA series.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
Re: Casio SA-21
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:58:49 PM »

Try the voltage drop with this guy.  There's details over in the SA-1 thread.

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »

Voltage drop only works with batteries on this one, I was unable to find a point on teh board that would get the voltage drop to work with a DC adapter. I may have pictures from back when I modded mine, I'll have a look for you at some point.

goldenbaby

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »

That'd be awesome.

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:09:16 PM »

Voltage drop only works with batteries on this one, I was unable to find a point on teh board that would get the voltage drop to work with a DC adapter. I may have pictures from back when I modded mine, I'll have a look for you at some point.

One would assume that you'd need to put a resistor in series with the output of the voltage regulator, otherwise the regulator will... regulate ;-)
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

goldenbaby

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:40:41 AM »

That's cool, I plan to stay batteried.  But could you direct me as to the bends you found on this?  It's hard finding info on this guy, he's not a very popular SA keyboard it seems.

Tried a 1k pot for the voltage drop, but it didn't work.  I don't think I'll be able to obtain a lower value pot, so how would I obtain 100 ohms of resistance by throwing some resistors in parallel.  I don't know how to calculate that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 07:35:00 AM by goldenbaby »

goldenbaby

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:04:16 PM »

I'm still wondering about this keyboard, as none of the other SA series info I read -- regarding other models -- is useful for this keyboard.  And I have not found a great pitch bend or distortion yet.  The voltage drop should be easy, just not sure what kind of resistor to get: supposedly pretty low value, but I'd hate to buy another pack of another value, and it be useless.  200 Ohm, if I remember right.  It's hard for me to even find that value of pot, so how do I calculate what statics I need to put in parallel to achieve such minute resistance?

PolyPhuckin

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »

I have an SA-21 waiting for me to open her up, quite interested to see what i can find.

What i generally do for power crashes is set up a potential divider, i find its a lot more stable and you can set a lower voltage limit rather than taking it all the way to zero. heres a good page on setting one up http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

Granted, that page is telling you how to set one up for FX pedals, but its easy to apply it here as well.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:44:08 AM »

Thanks for the great link!

PolyPhuckin

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:42:30 PM »

Yeah amn, the guy who runs that site has some amazing projects and ideas on there.

goldenbaby

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

K, maybe I'll give that a shot.  What values would you recommend using to better suit a small Casio like the SA-21?

PolyPhuckin

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:30 PM »

Off the top of my head, i cant remember what voltage the SA-21 runs on, 6 i think  :)

generally what i've found with power crashes on the lower SA's is that you get the best crashes when the voltage drops by only a few volts, say 3. You get a good range then and lots of play.

+6V__
          |
          |
      VR 1KΩ
          |
          -------------------∧
          |                       |   
        1KΩ         Take the power for the circuit from between these two points
          |                       |
          |                       |
0V------------------------v

(does that make sense? :-\ )

This set up will drop it to 3 volts, if you find that this is too much, exchange the 1K fixed resistor with a 2.2K. This'll bring it up to about 4.12V

Play around with combinations until you get something that works.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:34:04 PM by PolyPhukin »

goldenbaby

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 02:43:49 AM »

Dude, I got those parts on hand and gonna try it tonight.  The SA-21 is actually 7.5V, which means your diagram might give me even more control.  Either way, I'm amazed I can get such control out of 2 1k ohm components.

PolyPhuckin

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 07:39:57 PM »

Haha. thats true, i dont know why i thought it was 6v    :D

But if you replace the fixed resistor with a 4K7 resistor it'll only drop to about 6.1v which should be fine. If you left it as it was then you'd be dropping to about 3.75v, which is a bit too much of a drop.

goldenbaby

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »

I tried the 1k pot w/ 1k fixed and I still didn't have enough control to tune into CRASH mode.

If by 4k7, you mean 4.7k pot, then I'm gonna try a 5kohm fixed resister to see if it works.

Apparently 470 ohms crashes the machine nicely, but I can't find that low of a value locally, unless i want to pay $10.  It's bunk.
Pages: [1] 2