Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: my modular synth  (Read 18577 times)

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
my modular synth
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »

Here's a pic of my out of control modular synth project.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: my modular synth
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

mmmm, nice!

What format is it based on?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »

*boner* please, video. Please.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

M4RK

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:54:20 AM »

WHOA! "Operator, how may I direct your call?" You must work out of a laboratory.

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »

thanks alot it's 5u high and 1u,2u,3u or 4u wide modules (88u total over 4 cab's) it's not really based on any of the popular systems, i just liked the size though it is used alot of people go for the smaller modules it does occupy alot of space now and looks abit formidable and sounds pretty crazy!  I'll try and get a video together soon it does look like a laboratory at mine much to my girlfriends dismay, maybe i'll get a lab coat! cheers
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:03:52 PM by electoyd »

dislocations

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »

Looks awesome!!!!!!!!
In the UK, sad but true :-)

selfpreservation

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »

beam me up scotty  ;D 

thats sweet mate

Simon Vactrol

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:40:57 AM »

Very beautiful Creation Ian....
:)

boneless

• Neal Beard and his Machines
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:15:39 PM »

WOW AMAZING!

- that's what I call serious solder iron action!
 ;D

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

thanks dudes it has been a seriously mind boggling amount of work, not for the faint hearted, there is about 55 modules in it.  It turns into a big pit that you just funnel (lots of!) money into to make it grow and i think the amount of work almost pushed me to exhaustion at quite a few points, but i can look at the photo's of it from my hospital ward and i'm happy (joking!)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:45:45 PM by electoyd »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

It turns into a big pit that you just funnel (lots of!) money into to make it grow and i think the amount of work almost pushed me to exhaustion at quite a few points, but i can look at the photo's of it from my hospital ward and i'm happy (joking!)  ;D

Thats why i've never started a serious modular other than an old paia 4700 series.
I know what i'm like and it'd only be a matter of time before it would be taking up 90% of the space in my studio. The other 10% being taken up by me lying on the floor and foaming at the mouth with an insatiable desire for just one more module. JUST ONE MORE!  :o

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »

that describes the modular 'illness' perfectly Paul.  I have very little studio space left and have only recently stopped foaming at the mouth having finally sickened myself of 'modules'.

parricide

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »

WOW thats impressive!

i was thinking about building some modular components myself bit by bit. have you got any links for information on how to get started?
my knowledge is pretty basic but id love to start building parts

also ive got a question which might sound dumb, but as i said, im a newb. how does the power work on something like this? do the modules that need power share a power supply? im pretty confused about that.

thanks

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »

. how does the power work on something like this? do the modules that need power share a power supply? im pretty confused about that.

Usually you'll have a big power supply in the case that will give you a certain number of power rails depending on what format you're building too. Maybe you'll have +12v, -12v, +5v and ground.  Each module will be wired to those rails depending on what power it needs.

The supply will have a maximum milliamp rating and each module will draw a certain amount of milliamps, so you have to add up how many ma every module will be drawing together and make sure you don't exceed what the PSU can supply.

Often the power is supplied on a ribbon cable with a multiway header for each module, but on older stuff like the Paia modular i have, there are actually copper rails in the rear of the casing for each power rail, and you just wire your modules to those rails.

parricide

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »

. how does the power work on something like this? do the modules that need power share a power supply? im pretty confused about that.

Usually you'll have a big power supply in the case that will give you a certain number of power rails depending on what format you're building too. Maybe you'll have +12v, -12v, +5v and ground.  Each module will be wired to those rails depending on what power it needs.

The supply will have a maximum milliamp rating and each module will draw a certain amount of milliamps, so you have to add up how many ma every module will be drawing together and make sure you don't exceed what the PSU can supply.

Often the power is supplied on a ribbon cable with a multiway header for each module, but on older stuff like the Paia modular i have, there are actually copper rails in the rear of the casing for each power rail, and you just wire your modules to those rails.

thanks for the reply. i think i understand how it works.
i was planning on building all the modules as seperate things in no necessary order in a way that would allow a kind of mix and match approach (like guitar pedals), rather than have all of the modules in the same box. in this case i would need to build a separate power supply which i could plug the various modules into.
could i just build a PSU with various outputs and a lot of amps and build the voltage converters into the modules?

sorry for the potentially dumb questions, i havent really dug deeper into this stuff than following guides and poking around in the toys you sent me yet. i hit a wall for a while but im trying to get back into it again.

thanks
Pages: [1] 2