Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I HAVE DONE IT! - speak&spell membrane keypad  (Read 9491 times)

Tyler1144

• Way to much time on his hands
I HAVE DONE IT! - speak&spell membrane keypad
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:22:49 AM »

I have tapped into the keyboard membrane of a speak and spell and wired all of my switch bends into the last 10 letters. I had to disconnect the other wires that went to it, but i managed to solder my bend wires to the TINY little points after peeling a bit of plastic away. Now i can control all of my bends via keyboard! (pitch still has to be mounted)

What do you guys think of the whole thing? I think its the first of its kind to have the loops/glitches in the keyboard :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:16:10 PM by Circuitbenders »

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
Re: I HAVE DONE IT!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:49:39 AM »

That's pretty cool, pictures?
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:15:49 PM »

i've just edited your post so the thread title has some information on what its actually about

Doesn't this mean that you can't play most of the games properly anymore?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Tyler1144

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »

i've just edited your post so the thread title has some information on what its actually about

Doesn't this mean that you can't play most of the games properly anymore?

who needs games with all these bends? :)

i think i am the first person to do this, anyone else give it a try?

i also think i am the first person to actually cut pin connections and re-route them, i was able to unlock a glitch language by one on the synth chip

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »

i also think i am the first person to actually cut pin connections and re-route them, i was able to unlock a glitch language by one on the synth chip

any chance of showing what pins you swapped ???
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Tyler1144

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 07:22:17 AM »

any chance of showing what pins you swapped ???

I used the speak and spell schematic from casperelectronics, its all in the grid. theres maybe 10 pins total. Crossing them causes a letter/button push. EX: Pin 2+6 = letter g

so i cut the ribbon cable, found wire 1 and wire 2, and soldered the bends to it (this involves completely removing keyboard functions from the toy, so you have to attach a pushbutton to the "on" wires)

But its all good, it functions nicely, i have a nice "unleash" button that activates the "on" pins.

I only did this because the original keyboard functions are now completely broken, so i carefully soldered them to the ribbon cable. Not only that, but now the entire keyboard is free and i can add an LFO soon, just be careful not to cut the in-keyboard grid connectors :)

sk-1

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: I HAVE DONE IT! - speak&spell membrane keypad
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »

So what if you're the first?  BIG DEAL!  Just remember the 'gratuitous self-promotion rule' of CircuitBenders and you will be fine ;)

Anyway, have you tested this setup properly?  I have a feeling that operating the bends on a membrane keypad would be quite fragile, considering that you have soldered onto printed plastic... which will flex to the point of breaking or forming a dry joint.  Especially if you were to use it performing live.

If I were you, I'd test it first and make sure that what you have created (or invented, more like it) is solid, stable and reliable enough for others to adopt.

Congratulations on your successful discoveries  :D
So many questions... so little time!