Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yamaha SU-10  (Read 9574 times)

hoffy

Yamaha SU-10
« on: July 20, 2008, 03:44:41 AM »

Anyone bent this sampler before?

All i want to know is how likely i am to completely stuff it up should i attack it with my shakey hands and old, broken soldering iron :)

Thank you.

egr

Re: Yamaha SU-10
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:03:13 AM »

You're a braver man than I !  ;) Have you tried to look up info on the chips yet?

hoffy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:04:52 AM »

Well... i'm not actually that brave, hence i came here before opening it :)

I haven't looked up the chips yet, i just thought maybe some could tell me either "Good Idea!" or "No, there's no useful bends and it fries easily" first :)

It cost me less than some of the Casio FM keyboards (pss270, 140 etc.) go for on ebay, so i'll think about it a tad more before i butcher it.

I mean, it's already got filters and other things in it... But i want to do is watch it bleed and spit out random sequences.

Cheers .

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »

It's probably too modern to contain anything useful.  Basically you want stuff with parallel data paths, because then if you interrupt one line the numbers come out wrong and you get glitchy sounds.  If you disrupt the serial data path used by modern DSPs and DACs, you get nothing.  How dull.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

LoneStar81

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 04:41:48 PM »

parallel data paths

Hmmm. That means you have to get the data back to parallel. One could make a simple demultiplexer-multiplexer chain running from the main clock. A question is, would it affect normal operation due to signal latencies? You'd have to route the serial data through that at some point, and "in the middle" you have parallel data. I reckon it wouldn't even matter much whether you got, say, 8 lines on 16bit bus data or anything, it would still be bendable.
What do you think? Could that work? If yes, it would be possible to bend any machine which has at some point serial sound data running on a circuit board trace, which should be many.
What do you think?

edit: most drum machines/samplers/rom synths don't move around too much data inside, means you don't much likely run into speed problems with i.e. advanced high speed cmos parts or µprocs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:44:51 PM by LoneStar81 »