Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PSS-290 (not yet bent) restoration q's  (Read 7816 times)

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
PSS-290 (not yet bent) restoration q's
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:58:17 PM »

I have a PSS-290 and it's in fairly poor condition at the moment as it's caked in dirt. For the most part it works but is doing some odd things -

when I first switched it on everything worked except all the 'E' keys and numbers 2 and 8 (i think) on the numeric keypad - I thought this was down to dirt at first but after fiddling with it a while longer the E's sprang back to life and all the 'A' keys died, accompanied with two different numerics.

upon opening it up I discovered there was a fair amount of battery leakage that has damaged some of the circuit board, but not extensively (though I haven't looked at both sides yet) I cleaned it up as much as I could with a mini brush attached to the dremmel but although this is very fun and satisfying, it didn't get me any further.

any tips?, has anyone solved this before or be able to point me in the right direction?

cheers

aid
yum, plastic sinewaves

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: PSS-290 (not yet bent) restoration q's
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:54:34 PM »

Check all the tracks under the battery leakage area, preferably with a multimeter continuity tester. They might be broken even if you can't see it with the naked eye. A break could be underneath another component. Check any components are actually still connected where they should be.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:56:07 PM by Circuitbenders »
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »

sorry - i posted this in the tips section to begin with then thought it was more suited to the bending discussion :P

can I quickly move a topic myself or does this power just lie in the hands of the moderator  ;) i copied and pasted earlier
yum, plastic sinewaves

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »

Who knows, if you have to option 'MOVE TOPIC' on the very bottom left of topics you've started then yes. Otherwise i hold all the power!  :o
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »

nah, just remove topic and lock/unlock  ::) oh well
yum, plastic sinewaves

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

Hey

i've done a pss280 and it also has a couple of glitches (which were there before i touched it) 1 being to do with the keypad.  With the voices i can key a number in and it changes, but with the rhythm it doesn't you have to use the plus or minus to change the preset, i.e 1 at a time.  Also when you put the slider to power off it goes off until it reaches fully off then it goes back on again, dunno what thats all about.  Maybe the keypad could be a common flaw with 280/290 which are pretty much same machine apart from colour of buttons, i think.

re: keys not workin, try and trace back and see if you can get it to trigger somewhere else on the circuit, can i ask where you where fiddling about when the position of the dead keys changed?  it is a tricky one with these boards they have traces on two levels so alot of stuff you cant get at and also why battery damage could be messy and very damaging.

I got some nice bends on it gies a shout if you need any advice-cheers