Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Grandstand Major Minor  (Read 8296 times)

mouldi101

Grandstand Major Minor
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:48:51 PM »

Hi there all,

I'm pretty new to circuit bending and modding gear, but thought I'd come on here to ask a quick question before I destroy a classic toy!

I have a Grandstand Major Minor, and was wondering how to install a line out onto it. I've found a few schematics of this in various places, but am not too sure how to implement them (i.e. which wire to the speaker is the speaker ground? is there a way of wiring up to a jack socket so that when a jack is inserted, the internal speaker is deactivated?)

If anyone could give me a solution to this, I'd be very grateful - I'll make sure I post a quick sample pack when I get it all sorted out!

Cheers,

mouldi101

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Grandstand Major Minor
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

The easiest way is to just wire a jack socket to the speaker terminals. The speaker probably has a + and - embossed on it next to were the wires are soldered on. Ideally + should go to the jack tip and - to the sleeve / ground but it doesn't matter that much in most cases. If the output level is just too loud use this circuit to calm it down.

You can make the speaker cut off when you use the line output by using a switched mono jack socket in line with the speaker wires. When theres nothing plugged into the socket the signal goes straight to the speaker but when you plug in a jack the speaker is disconnected and the output switches to the jack output.

In some rare cases you might have to put a dummy load across the speaker wires when using the jack output if the speaker is disconnected, at which point things get a little more complicated, but this is unlikely.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool