Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Electribe mk 1/2 internal battery pack mod  (Read 11208 times)

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
Electribe mk 1/2 internal battery pack mod
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:14:32 AM »

Hi all,

I've successfully modified my ES-1 to have an internal rechargeable battery pack. I've written up an illustrated DIY guide, for anyone interested in trying it with their Electribe mk 1 or 2. It's in the Yahoo Electribe group, in the FILES section (you have to join as a member, though to access the FILES section). I'd post it here also, but its too big for the attachment file size limits on this site.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/electribe/

There is also a video clip of it in action there as well.

Although it's written for the ES-1, it may also be relevant for the other Electribes (not X-tribes, though), so long as there is the space in the casing for it.

This has worked out really well. Depending on which batteries you choose, you could get up to 10 hours continuous use out of a charge. I chose cheap, small AAA 900mAH rechargeables that were locally available, and I get over three and a half hours out of them continuously. Other batteries that I suggest in the guide will give a lot longer.

You can also use the modded Electribe itself as a portable battery pack to power other 9V DC equipment, simply by switching a switch and plugging in a DC extension cable into the charging socket to a guitar pedal, drum machine, or even another Electribe!

It also uses the standard Electribe DC 9V power pack as the charger, so there's no need to buy a separate charger. It will charge a battery pack the same as mine in about 10 hours. You can also use the Electribe WHILE CHARGING the batteries.

The mod also features reverse polarity protection for the battery pack, in case another, incorrect polarity power pack is plugged into the charging socket.

Here is a teaser pic below.

Cheers, graham

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
Re: Electribe mk 1/2 internal battery pack mod
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:15:28 AM »

And of the inside:

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »

that's a great job ! Gmeredith, you're brave man

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:20:49 AM »

Thanks! It's only that I've done a few battery pack mods for different machines that i dared to try it on this! Turned out that it was really easy.

Cheers, Graham

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 12:58:07 AM »

Great work as usual, Graham.  You did some battery pack mods for Sk's right?  I just came into a bag of 1.2v rechargeables and I'm looking to try to defray the environmental impact of my performing table [sheepishly nudges aside three shoeboxes full of dead batteries].  I'll go check the Sk-5 yahoo forum.

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:07 AM »

Yeah, I did my SK8 with some rechargeables. Best things ever. Just about all my gear runs on rechargeables now.
When you use the SK with rechargeables, you can just stick the 5 batteries straight in the battery bay just as normal, without soldering and it will still run, despite them only being 1.2v each - but you get longer run time out of a charge if you mount 1 extra battery permanently in the casing somewhere, in addition to these. This will take it up to 8.4V total, which is a bit better.

Cheers, Graham