Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: has anyone bent a FM synth?  (Read 7883 times)

davethedoobie

has anyone bent a FM synth?
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »

I just wondered as a newb if any of the experts on this site like crusty paul, oceanus, gordonjcp and lonestar81 - people who from looking through the site seem to have a lot of knowhow have ever bent a yamaha fm synth?  They are full of chips and I am eager to tinker but looking for hints.  BTW any suggestions on how to house a modified vl-1 I've fried two already but got it right with my third one I will post up pictures and stuff when I'm happy with the pictures.  The soldering info on the site was very helpful - I can't stress to any other newbs how important a good soldering iron is!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: has anyone bent a FM synth?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »

I have a couple of Yamaha FB-01 modules in the pile waiting to be bent. I did try a data line cut mod on one a while back and it did some fiarly interesting stuff until the power supply fried due to me not noticing that the mains cable was completely buggered and something was shorting out somewhere.

Since then its been cannibalised for the parts i used on it so i'd have to start all over again if i ever get around to trying to mod another one. I've also got a DX100 that i've been meaning to get round to bending for a while.

So many synths, so little time  :D
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

davethedoobie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »

I agree so many synths so little time!  Spend so much time looking for bends but its like using an analogue modular the excitement is in the sound creation and experimentation.  Just don't want to fry my dxs' unless I'm sure what I'm doing.

pneaveill

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »

I just wondered as a newb if any of the experts on this site like crusty paul, oceanus, gordonjcp and lonestar81 - people who from looking through the site seem to have a lot of knowhow have ever bent a yamaha fm synth?  They are full of chips and I am eager to tinker but looking for hints.  BTW any suggestions on how to house a modified vl-1 I've fried two already but got it right with my third one I will post up pictures and stuff when I'm happy with the pictures.  The soldering info on the site was very helpful - I can't stress to any other newbs how important a good soldering iron is!

Thank you!! This is the question I have been trying to ask all along.

davethedoobie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »

I saw a post here for a bent korg M1 and it got me thinking.  I've got a dx and tx-7 as well as plenty of other 4 op dxs sp I'm very tempted with it being the bank holiday and the good old british weather predicting rain.  I thought someone like gordonjcp who seems to have more expert knowledge would have the answer.  thanks crusty paul for the response.

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:14:23 AM »

Well I do have a DX21 sitting about.  They're much the same as the home keyboard Yamaha FM synths, really.  Basically any bend (data cut etc) that works on a PSS will work...
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

LoneStar81

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »

I've also got a DX100 that i've been meaning to get round to bending for a while.

So many synths, so little time  :D

Send it to me, I'll try  ;D