Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PT-80  (Read 8669 times)

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
PT-80
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:53:45 AM »

As you might expect from the PT series, the PT-80 is not much to write home about.  I did the mod where you switch out the tuning trimmer for a 1 meg pot to get the super deep low tones, but it isn't as smooth as on the 87.

There are plenty of subtle things you can do with the drum beats via resistor substitution, but they are pretty minor effects.

The bottom line is this: you can spend your time more productively than working on this machine. 

I put in 6 hours and now have a device that is uglier than before (admittedly through design flaws on my end), doesn't sound particularly good, and isn't really useful for any application that I can think of.

I'd love to be proven wrong here, so please step up if you feel contrary, but I'm pretty certain that the PT-80 is not so hot for bending.

kick52

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: PT-80
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »

Is there more than one chip? Try line cutting and see if that does anything.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:30:38 AM »

There's two boards.  On the lower board there is a big square chip that I can't seem to get anything off of.  On the upper board there's a small chip near the power supply that doesn't seem to be good for much either.  The layout is a lot like the PT-30, which is also not too hot for bending (but pretty nice on its own merits).

ne7

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • ne7 web
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »

try messing around with the amplifier - u can get a simple distortion mod outta it if its like the pt10...
ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net