Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yamaha PSS 160  (Read 6724 times)

Evergreen Navigator

Yamaha PSS 160
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:54 AM »

I have a Broken PSS 160.  The keyboard doesn't work since I took it apart the rubber (whatever that stuff is) thing behind the Keys is messed up.  I'm new to bending I have a few switches and a potentiometer or to lying around.  I would like to hack this things arpegiaror so I could use the pot to change its pitch for starters. I took the circuitry out of the body and wired in a power disconnect .  Any help for the new guy would be awesome. 

Evergreen Navigator

Re: Yamaha PSS 160
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18:43 AM »

I saw in another post that they rewired the FM chip is that how you should do it? Should you use resistors across between two pins on the chip? How do you figure out which chip is the FM chip.  I'm not an electrical engineer.  I do understand some electrical circuitry DC 12 systems as I fix cars for a living.  Here's an interesting idea could I use electrical car relays to augment this circuit.  Any ideas would help me out greatly.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »

I think the problem here might be that you don't know what you actually want to achieve, let alone how to achieve it. Its all very well saying you want to use relays to augment the circuit, but to do what? What do you want to control with what signal?

Should you use resistors across between two pins on the chip? How do you figure out which chip is the FM chip.

What two pins? I don't think the PSS160 uses an FM chip. http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/Yamaha_PSS-160.html

I can't tell from your first post what you are actually trying to achieve with regards to the arpeggiator.  :-\
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Evergreen Navigator

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »

Well I can't play the keyboard anymore, so I would like to know how change the pitch/note the arpegiator is paying using dial of some sort.  That would be a nice feature. 

I'm just trying to learn on this thing.  Thanks for your help.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »

To be honest with you, i think the cheapest and least complex way of doing it would be to buy another PSS160!

I can't see any way of using a knob to trigger several notes at once, short of some hideously complex logic arrangement, or learning some microcontroller programming. You could add a highly liquid midi retrofit, but you could probably get 3 or 4 PSS160's for the same price http://store.highlyliquid.com/collections/midi-retrofits/products/umr2

Alternatively you could recreate the keyboard using a pushbutton for each note, but again, it'd be a lot quicker and easier to buy another PSS.

I'm afraid that this just isn't very practical  :(
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Evergreen Navigator

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »

Like I said I'm just trying to learn on this keyboard before I try to bend any of my other keyboards.  I did find some interesting points in the circuit board.  I like the MIDI idea for other keyboards it would be good to practice installing it on this keyboard. 

Do you think that I could change the preset voices in this thing or add in an oscillator to of some sort or should I just start working with my PSS 460.  I guess it's a much better keyboard for this kind of stuff.