Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New to bending, question  (Read 4470 times)

elef003

New to bending, question
« on: September 11, 2010, 04:06:04 AM »

hey guys, i know this is ridiculous noob post and question but, i love electronics and modifications of all sorts. i have a bunch of old casio keyboards that i refurbished, replaced all the capacitors, resistors ect ect. however, i have this one pt80 i'm working on and i really want to give CB a try

do you guys have any tips for where i should start? no manual, no schematic. i know i probably don't need a schem to get started but would anyone have any tips as to where/how i should start with this project? maybe some simple little practice locations on the pcb that others have experience with?

thanks again

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
Re: New to bending, question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:24:58 AM »

i consider myself to be a newby as well. until i can roll up my pennies to go to school for electronics, i suppose i will be.

the standard method in circuit bending, really is to poke around. there are some cool threads in this forum on the topic.

tools, well, the main one is a jumper with crockodile clips on each end, or even a bare jumper wire. some clip a jeweler screwdriver to the clips for comfort.

connect one end to the jumper to a contact point (a resistor, capacitor, solder point, pin on a semiconductor chip, etc, until you find a sound you like. then try a variety of potentiometers between the two, switches, etc.

when you hook up a potentiometer, try touching the pin which is not connected, if the sound changes, you have a body contact. that is not the only body contact point, but it is an easy place, and convenient, to solder a wire to.

photo cells used as variable resistors can be really cool in this! be creative and have fun! i used a brass cowbell and a wire for a "piano smasher" sound on my casio mt 205! you can make pseudo switches different ways, you can also purchase a variety of toggle, N/O or N/C push button switches...

other hands skills include airbrushing, basic woodworking/cabinet making, etc for finishing touches.

other than that, basic soldering skills, knowledge of metering, theory, etc can come in handy.

that is the extent, really of my knowledge on the subject. there are others way more advanced than i am on this forum.

the "search" button (set of green buttons on top of the page under tha masthead) is a handy tool in finding info in this forum quickly.

"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"