Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Just got a casio SA-2 to bend... but what parts?  (Read 9950 times)

Nixot

Just got a casio SA-2 to bend... but what parts?
« on: May 29, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the world of circuit bending, and it seems very exciting. I want to start off with this Casio SA-2 keyboard beside me. I will be working on this with my dad, who is experienced with electronics, but in order to start, we must know what parts to get. I have made a list of the parts labelled on the Casper Electronics list, but according to him, this is not enough. We need to know part names or at least what type of part we need. I could only find a short list of part names on a PDF on "the noise upstairs", and still need to know the rest of the parts needed. If anyone could lend me a hand it would be most appreciated. Thank you.

The parts listed are:
A DPDT Switch (on-off-on)
A 6 MHz crystal
An LTC1799 precision oscillator
Two "22pF Caps"
A "1K Trim"
Two 1K Potentiometers
A 500K Potentiometer
A 100K Potentiometer
A DC Adapter socket 6V
An LED
A Line Out Jack Socket
A Centre Off Switch
Three On/Off Switches
Two Momentary Switches
A 2-3K Potentiometer

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Just got a casio SA-2 to bend... but what parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »

I don't think there is any definative parts list for bending an SA2 as it depends entirely on exactly what you want to do and how you want to go about doing it. Theres a few different ways of doing a lot of the possible mods. Most people have a stock of different parts and experiment with what works best for them.

In regards to the list you have there, if you live anywhere outside the US you probably won't find a 500K or 2-3K pot so just get something close, i'd probably use pushbuttons as opposed to momentary switches, i'm not sure what 'A DC Adapter socket 6V' actually means, On/Off switches are SPST, a centre off switch is probably SPDT (on-off-on).

I wouldn't go messing around with the LTC1799 or the crystal until you've got some other mods working

Theres a long Casio SA series thread here
http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29.0.html

Theres also some specific SA2 stuff on here if you do a search
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Nixot

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »

Hello.
Thanks for your reply. I got the big list of parts mainly from this diagram: http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1337.0.html

When I said momentary switches, I really meant push buttons that only connected the circuit when you hold them down.
Since this is a UK based site, I would assume you yourself are in the UK too. If this is the case, have you bent a Casio SA keyboard before? If I can't find the potentiometer that I need, what resistance would do best? In fact, what would happen if I used a smaller or larger resistance potentiometer?
Also, since you were saying about a centre-off switch being SPDT, and a normal switch being a SPST switch, I would assume the P means the number of pins for each position, and T means the number of positions. On the circuit bending guide, there is a DPDT switch where there are two pins per position, and it is being used for the "5ths switch". But to be honest, I don't really see the point of that, as it would reduce the instrument's polyphony to one.

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:04:01 AM »

do all those, but i hooked up an atari punk console circuit to the speaker/output...and one other place  i forgot, i need to check that out again...it acts like a vcf!

i also did the 5ths switch and the octave switch. i haven't changed the crystal to try the pitch control yet.

i think the apc bend is cooler than anything on the casper drawing! (well, those are cool too...).
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"