Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Casings / housings !  (Read 7279 times)

LoFi-Ninja

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Casings / housings !
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:06:56 AM »

I seem to have accumulated a bunch of casings / housings of very wierd nature that I can't seem to find that project that seems worthy of the casing.. I will put some pics on my flickr later for you too see. Maybe you have good ideas for my casings.. I also have some electromechanical hardware (switches, knobs potentiometers) that also seems to be kept at the back of the other stuff for "that" special project...

Do you have such items aswell ?

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
Re: Casings / housings !
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:17 AM »

i would like to recomment dvd player cases to everyone. why ?

-1 unit 19" format usualy
-easy removable front so that custom made front can be attached
-separate symmetric powerboard inside, suitable for most projects (+12-12+5 V )
-easy to find (plenty in the garbage)

for the rest : i know what you mean, i have here several shelves with weird looking cases (that i probably never use)  ;) and boxes full of resqued pots, switches etc.. my favourites are (dont know the english name)
things that are screwed on top of a mustard/mayonaise etc. tube to close it, because i like the colours and forms..
totaly unhandy tough as they dont fit on pots or anything else but mustard tubes..

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:29:45 AM »

I've got a tray of really chunky solid steel vandal proof push buttons that must have been hideuosly expensive when they were first bought but the problem is i've never built anything that i thought was good enough to justify using them, and probably never will. Its a wierd idea having components that are too good to use.   ;)

For some reason i bought a few vandal proof ATM type keypads the other day just because they wre cheap and look cool. I can't imagine i'm ever going to use them on anything but i'm just a sucker for this stuff.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

LoFi-Ninja

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »

Hmm my camera has vanished on me again, so no pics. today.

nochtanseenspecht: Yeah DVD's are pretty nice for rack's.. I just don't use rack's very much..   :P

Circuitbenders: You should make some kind of synth that would be strong enough for battle in Irak.. So when the soldiers are on there way for battle they could play the theme song from the "A-Team" or "M*A*S*H" haha.. Or if they where in real trouble running out of gear they could do the theme from "MacGyver"  ;D

PS: I don't condone war...

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »

I always buy old video pong games for casings but never quite get round to using them or i bodge drilling holes and they look a mess  :-\
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Gleix

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »

I have the same problem.  I constantly pick up things I think would be great for a project when going through aisles at a flea market or thrift store... that and saving old failed projects for the cases.  Never get around to using them though...