Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stylophone  (Read 16689 times)

nosgerg

Stylophone
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »

The daddy of the Stylophone is the Stylophone 350-S which boasts two stylii (or is it styluses?) and has a reiteration effect  a bit like a T series Hammond and a really cool photocell controller that can be assigned to volume, vibrato or a wah effect. I'd love to see a cirtcuitbend of one of these bad boys as I use one live quite regularly. Anyone know of one?

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
Re: Stylophone
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »

I'm not sure about that model, but I've seen circuit bent stylophones. I was going to bend mine, but I can't get it open : (.

shy stylophone
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

ne7

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • ne7 web
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »

Here's a piccie of one of mine :D

it's a beast once you get right into it... filthy overdrive etc...

Also a lot of fun modding the older models too
ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net

ne7

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • ne7 web
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »

quick tip if you are trying to pry the newer model open - the whole thing is totally glued shut - you need a sharp blade (PLEASE BE CAREFUL!), run it round the entire case taking care to remove as much of the glue as possible - its similar to copydex but a hell of a lot stickier. you'll need to do this several times to get the thing openable.

then pry the two corners open like this:

Code: [Select]
*_____
|     |

hope that helps :)
ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »

okay, i'm getting one...whenever it gets from hong kong to my house! lol

mine is the "studio black" version. limited edition...

it's claim to fame, on the description, was bowie used one in space oddity!

so, what can be done? can there be a rate control for the tremolo added? who has one? who has bent one?

i'm psyched!
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:49:05 AM »

I have the one in the video posted above (not the same one in the video, just the same model). It has a vibrato in it already. The only bend I could find was a few different feedback points, that's about it. Nothing too fancy. But then again I didn't poke around too much in it.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

Simon Vactrol

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »

Got mine bent few days ago!! i had to take apart the case and re-box-it...it is not just about open it but also close it once is done!!..and leave the possibility to re-open-it.
New models have bad case but great sounds and distorsion..and are also new..so probably will last longer..maybe! 
::)
The only thing i dont like much is the difference of volume between the distorsion feedback and the real sound..i'm still

thinking how to make it better but ain't find a solution yet..have someone of you experiment something about it?

:)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »

thinking how to make it better but ain't find a solution yet..have someone of you experiment something about it?

A dual pot? One pot controls the distortion amount, while the other pot is wired the other way around and turns down the output volume as the distortion is turned up.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Simon Vactrol

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »

Did that trick  with stereo pot..but does not work..at least with feedback distorsion..cos the volume is fundamental for it..
there are VACTROL solutions but not sure of the result..i need to give it a go..
or experiment and transform that sound in something else...
or build a distorsion separately and then use stereo pot,but is just more trouble.
..i just wish there was an easy solution for it...one of those special tricks.....

have a look at this may help sort this out.
http://sound.westhost.com/project53.htm

(Probably i'll better build a basic Compressor...that would do) ::)

jamiewoody

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »

i know it has vibratto in it already...i was wondering if adding a pot would give more control over vibratto?

Simon Vactrol

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

@JW
Yes Jamie there is a way to control that vibrato but to be honest it is not the main bending..you could ignore that function and simply add a nice lfo..there are few point you can pitch bend that circuit...you can blend between points ecc... stlphn is a nice toy.

jamiewoody

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:20 AM »

why not do both? i think it may be awhile after i get mine before taking it apart, due to what i just read about taking it apart....sigh.

i may get another one first. especially since this one is the ltd edition black model.

jamiewoody

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

i've seen at least 3 colours...it would be cool to collect them all. i guess that doesn't matter if i have to d estroy the case just to get inside though....sigh.

jamiewoody

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »

i got mine...finally!

mine is the "studio black" version, which is perported to be a limited edition model.

the controls are standard, at least i think. power, tremolo, 3 octaves selected from a 3 way switch. a volume control, a pitch control mp3 in, headphone out and internal speaker.

here are my gripes...the pitch control is on the bottom of the unit? why? i realize the motivation of the pitch is to tune the instrument quickly to play along with recordings...but, wouldn't it be nice to use it more easily as an effect as well?

the lowest octave range is much lower in volume/gain than the middle and higher octaves. of course, this will not matter when the instrument is amplified, but this could have been more nicely balanced.

a biggie though, no power adapter input! what the heck?!!

but, all in all, this is a fun gadget, and i will be doing some recording with this. also, i plan to do some bending to it! i want to actually add a real keyboard to mine!  wow, a synth for less than $20?!! not a bad bargain.

i wonder if the tremolo can gain a speed and or intensity control? or maybe, if the trem could gain an output to add modulation to other things? a power crash might be sick!

i'd like to collect the others. the black and silver model reminds me of a 60's-70's era transistor radio! the all white model is pretty hip too!

i may do a whole album of recordings using the stylophone as a lead instrument!

jamiewoody

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »

ok, now here are a couple of things that are cool!

and i haven't even taken this apart yet...

if you experiment with the in and out jacks and the mini-phone cable, you can get some weird distortion sounds.
if you turn the volume all the way up, you get some distortion.
Pages: [1] 2