Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: s-cat again / Dub Sirens  (Read 36767 times)

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
Re: s-cat again
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »

I agree I am new to this site and I can make...infact Ihave made abetter machines than this guy has ,I made a circuit bent coleco tutor computer(not talking teacher,like it with female voice) with midi sync and i gave that to a youthclub that I went to .I have aspergers and yet I have more ceativity than that guy in my fingertip I also gave a pt-100 with humidity and heat restistors that change resistance  in a circuit ,a bit like a potentiometre the kids love this stuff I, do It as kids like them dont ever get a seeing into this art form  and they can impress and maaze you. thoze kidz were at time playing like professionals.

i think s-cats stuff looks and sound good reasonable presented its just he seems an ass. i find his ebay presentation very annoying the way he spreads it out ! its not about who makes better just about the making ya self
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »

Note the way all the comments have been deleted from that siren on youtube. I think that says everything that needs to be said abouts his attitude.

Personally, i've just put a filter on my email inbox that immediately deletes the ranting emails he sends me so i don't have to experience the bizarre fantasy world he seems to inhabit.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:37:47 PM by Circuitbenders »
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 11:51:01 PM »

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5DOCqjWHfaw&feature=related

now this is what i call a dub siren. At least there are some people who put a bit of craftwork into their art.

agreed.  :o
yum, plastic sinewaves

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 12:19:54 AM »

FFS, I don't know why people keep banging on about dub sirens.  There are about 270 thousand dub siren circuits out there if you look on Google.  They all amount to much the same thing - a pair of 555-type oscillators, one slow one and one fast one.  The fast one makes a tone and the slow one makes it go "woowoowoowoowoo".  It's not exactly rocket science.

It's the attitude to it that s-cat has that gets me, this whole "oh I know how to do it and no-one else does and I make the dub sirens and mine are the best" - get stuffed, matey.  Oh wow, we're all so terribly impressed that you can build a circuit that is pretty much part-for-part identical to the one in my CSYS Physics textbook from the dim distant pasts of 1990, and reproduced all over the Internet.  Get real.

If anyone wants to build a dub siren and can't figure it out, feel free to ask me for help.  If you're totally stuck, come round to my house and bring the siren components and some real ale.  The circuit-bending community is about sharing.  Not "zomg yuo might copy my l33t designs" secrecy, and not "show me everything so I can slavishly copy it", but properly sharing.

Time Mr S-Cat learnt this...

[originally posted while seriously annoyed at someone else for exactly this reason, edited slightly for language]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:49:30 AM by Gordonjcp »
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »

guess i won't be posting some pictures of the siren i just built for someone then.  :D

Weird isn't it. Despite the fact that its an effect that you could produce with more or less any synth, hardware or software,  people are still willing to pay stupid money for a box with about 10 components in it.

Been feeling a bit stressed recently gorden?  ;)

(EDIT)

I was considering letting scat back on the forum after he sent me a few emails that were calmer than the usual ranting paranoia that he sends me, but then i found these posts while taking a look on Zoinky420's yahoo group:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/circuitbending/message/1032
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/circuitbending/message/1034

as the man says 'Why not take a look and make your own mind up?'  ;D :D ;D ;D :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:20:12 PM by Circuitbenders »

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: s-cat again / Dub Sirens
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »

Bah, I am still banned from zoinky420's Yahoo group ;-)
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »

Wow, Zoinky and SCAT on the same forum together! If only all that energy could be harnessed for mankind, we could have solved global warming!

Cheers, Graham

PolyPhuckin

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 02:32:49 AM »

Nah, I'm sure he'd only try an sell you the secret. With six distortion mods of course  ;)

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »

iS S/CAT THAT bloke who used to sell circuit bent maplin robot mega phones and arion pahasers ?on ebay
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

S-CAT

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »

in fact if anyone is interested, the S-CAT dub siren is one of these recased with a pitch control and a line out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130253415592

Quick, everyone jump on the bandwagon and flood the market!  ;)

We have now taken a series of photographs, showing the construction of the S-CAT siren that was circuit bent using the 6 tone siren that is available on ebay. You are welcome to contact us if interested.

S-CAT

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 02:52:51 PM »

The guy is an arse, but last time I looked there wasn't a shadowy international brotherhood of circuit bending assassins whose sole purpose is the destruction of those who refuse to enter into the spirit of circuit bending.

Please would you enlighten me, as to what the spirit of circuit bending is? I build these machines because of a love of **cked up sound (coming from a techno background) and did not know that it was for any other purpose than to create new electronic music.

Arron

S-CAT

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »

iS S/CAT THAT bloke who used to sell circuit bent maplin robot mega phones and arion pahasers ?on ebay
We have never worked on or sold a Maplins megaphone or phazer pedal yet, you seem to be looking at someone elses listings, but we may have to try them out and see if they make as good money as our modified 6 tone sirens did.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »

We have now taken a series of photographs, showing the construction of the S-CAT siren that was circuit bent using the 6 tone siren that is available on ebay. You are welcome to contact us if interested.

Why not start a thread on this forum and post details here if you are willing to share the information on this?

S-CAT

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »

I agree I am new to this site and I can make...infact Ihave made abetter machines than this guy has ,I made a circuit bent coleco tutor computer(not talking teacher,like it with female voice) with midi sync and i gave that to a youthclub that I went to .I have aspergers and yet I have more ceativity than that guy in my fingertip I also gave a pt-100 with humidity and heat restistors that change resistance  in a circuit ,a bit like a potentiometre the kids love this stuff I, do It as kids like them dont ever get a seeing into this art form  and they can impress and maaze you. thoze kidz were at time playing like professionals.
The word professional does infact mean, someone who earns money from a skill that they have.

S-CAT

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »

well, seeing as he bought about 20 loud hailers / megaphones with built in siren effects a few months ago i'd be willing to bet they are made from them rather than maplins kits.

But this is a bit of a tricky subject isn't it? I'd be the last person to defend S-Cat as in my humble opinion he is an idiot with massive delusions of grandeur, but just because someone has found a way to do something simply, which people will pay a lot of money for, doesn't necessarily mean that its a bad thing.

Was the guy who bent a bit of wire to make a paperclip just cashing in on peoples stupidity? Anyone could have done it but they didn't.

I would agree with you totally that selling crap for absurd money isn't really appreciating the 'spirit' of what circuitbending should be but Its a free country, if people want to pay ridiculous money for something they could build themselves in about 20 minutes or just because it has some bits of wood bolted to the side, then thats entirely up to them.

Not wishing to sound like i've got my head up my own arse here, but i just can't be bothered to build stuff thats really easy to put together and sell it for absurd money, as its just really boring. Which is why circuitbenders don't make many circuitbent toys anymore. Most people on this forum could probably do exactly what S-Cat does and probably do it better, but I for one just can't be bothered with it as i'd rather do something interesting and build quality machines rather than throwing together a siren circuit, doing a few tweaks on it and sticking it in a box with some chunks of wood nailed to it.
It pays the bills!
Pages: 1 [2] 3