Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Circuit Bending & Post-Modernism  (Read 19779 times)

ZedAxis

Re: Circuit Bending & Post-Modernism
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »

because of the sheer volume of mediocre music out there, thats all most people writing this stuff actually get to hear.

It's wierd coz everyone on the net can access ALL the obscure recordings of the past that would of only been heard/understood by those involved in that particular sub-culture. So you can pick & choose an identikit from all this but it is pointless & sterile coz these things are taken out of context. The break with historical importance of its time/place removes all meaning. I don't really go along with that view that the Sex Pistols are as relevant today as they were in 1977 just coz someone decides they are to them individually,for example.

I think it's maybe coz the lack of real experience & consumption of a mediated version of events has replaced reality. Bendings great coz it is of 21st century and its hands-on, real, unpredictable etc. so probably not post-modern maybe??
PM is quite fun to use for deconstructing things & wierd behaviourgoing on around you - it is dry academia at the end of the day & its better to spend your timedoing stuff that theorising. I like waffling, sorry. :-*

ZedAxis

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »

The only rule of this forum is that any discussions as to whether circuitbending is or isn't an 'art' and whether people should profit from it, will earn their authors a sound trashing and public humiliation, you have been warned. Everyone has been through that one enough times on the Yahoo group

oops - only just came across this - the first ever post on circuitbenders.co.uk. I was half expecting some comeback anyhow.  Where's my trashing then?
Don't worry  - I've sufficiently vented my spleen all over the place - made a right mess. Nothing more to bleet on about on this one!!!!!!!!! ;)

goldenbaby

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 05:00:37 AM »

That question was really supposed to be simple, but it's nice to see a discussion started up.

My knowledge of post-modernism is related to vague remarks on Charlie Kaufmann movies, tidbits from non PM-focused university classes, general laymen chatter.
I had this question, because I am not really a fan of "noise" stuff, and think it's ridiculously pretentious and more or less an attempt for hipsters to separate themselves from a increasingly commercial indie music community, by way of something "much more smarter, intense, and mind-blowing."  I personally would have been turned off by the idea of circuit-bending, had not one of my favorite bands introduced me to it.  Now, I can enjoy some noisier stuff that I ever could, because the absurdity of seeing a CBO used in a live setting, and hearing computers lose their beans is entertaining.  I don't see it as mind-blowing or smarter...just messier, more unpredictable, and less confined.

The complex CBO, with fancy paint job and careful design, does strike me as an art, not just a technical skill.  My high school passion for electronics was only resurrected this year when I found out I could make new, totally unique instruments.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »

The only rule of this forum is that any discussions as to whether circuitbending is or isn't an 'art' and whether people should profit from it, will earn their authors a sound trashing and public humiliation, you have been warned. Everyone has been through that one enough times on the Yahoo group

oops - only just came across this - the first ever post on circuitbenders.co.uk. I was half expecting some comeback anyhow.  Where's my trashing then?
Don't worry  - I've sufficiently vented my spleen all over the place - made a right mess. Nothing more to bleet on about on this one!!!!!!!!! ;)

If you've ever been a member of the Yahoo circuitbending group you'd be aware of what a nightmare a discussion about 'art' really is on a circuitbending forum. On a disturbingly regular basis that group is torn apart with lifelong enemies being made, all due to someones harmless 'art' related comment. Its tragic to witness grown men squabbling like 8 year olds over something as utterly meaningless as whether circuitbending counts as art or not.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

pneaveill

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »

If you've ever been a member of the Yahoo circuitbending group you'd be aware of what a nightmare a discussion about 'art' really is on a circuitbending forum. On a disturbingly regular basis that group is torn apart with lifelong enemies being made, all due to someones harmless 'art' related comment. Its tragic to witness grown men squabbling like 8 year olds over something as utterly meaningless as whether circuitbending counts as art or not.

Can very happily say that somehow missed the mess on the yahoo forum there.  To know which one it is and avoid it, can you give me the name of it here or offline please?

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 01:05:03 AM »

Think it's just called "circuitbending", run by one "zoinky420".  I'm probably still banned from it.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

pneaveill

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 01:15:29 AM »

Think it's just called "circuitbending", run by one "zoinky420".  I'm probably still banned from it.

Your mentioning the name confirms that I was not there. So am still safe.  Thanks for the quick response.
Pages: 1 [2]