Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Identify that Keyboard!  (Read 11573 times)

goldenbaby

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Identify that Keyboard!
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:08:11 AM »

This thread can be used over and over, as a means of obtaining help in identifying a keyboard you see or hear or own.

This appears to be a Casio, but I'm not sure, much less what model it is.  Any of you guys know the look?

noystoise

Re: Identify that Keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 06:59:33 AM »

actually, i think thats a pss 170

Gleix

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:27:04 AM »

Not a "name that keyboard," but some useless trivia... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVyPPfpygE They're using a PT-50 in that scene in "Gremlins."

Also, here's something I stuck up a few days ago.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QL1JKZ7us  ::)

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:25 AM »

Definitely a PSS170.  I've got one sitting here.  If it's not, then it's some near-identical variant.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

deathbender

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »

Not a "name that keyboard," but some useless trivia... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVyPPfpygE They're using a PT-50 in that scene in "Gremlins."

Please tell me i'm not retarded: For me it looks like the keys of the keyboard are turned towards gizmo, away from zach (was that his name?). He has to play the melody upside down. He then presses a key on the right side, after that a key more to the left side and the tone is lower than the first one. This would be right if the keys would face towards him! But they do NOT! They face towards gizmo and the tone resulting from the second keypress should be higher tan the first one! Am i dreaming or mixing something up???

Gleix

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:30:56 AM »

Please tell me i'm not retarded: For me it looks like the keys of the keyboard are turned towards gizmo, away from zach (was that his name?). He has to play the melody upside down. He then presses a key on the right side, after that a key more to the left side and the tone is lower than the first one. This would be right if the keys would face towards him! But they do NOT! They face towards gizmo and the tone resulting from the second keypress should be higher tan the first one! Am i dreaming or mixing something up???

You're right... the whole scene is set up.  Not only that, but I've got a PT-50 and it does not make any sound similar to the ones in the clip.  It's all very warm sounding voices with nothing but bass and mid-tones.

goldenbaby

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:27:23 AM »

Perhaps I should rename the thread to Casio Geeks Meet-Up!  But then I couldn't post much, because I have a ways to go with that.

hoffy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 01:48:07 AM »

I love that keyboard, the 170 has to be my favorite keyboard ever. I use it way more than the Alesis Andromeda I had.

And they're full of useful bends- so far on mine I've figured out how to solo all the individual drums, crash the demo song with a body contact, trigger some drum sounds individually, mess up the rhythms and timing... and then there's also the FM Scramble mod. Once i get some paint and a retrofit kit from highly liquid, it's going to be a beast :)

... So what was that pic from, anyway?

goldenbaby

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:47:57 AM »

It was from a video of Mute Math live.  If their new album has any more CBOs on it, I'm gonna start a thread for discussion of their stuff.

noystoise

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »

i just picked up a pss-170 today for $5. its gonna need some love though. out of the pss family, i think the 480 is my favorite.

goldenbaby

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »

Sounds like your thrift stores far outdo my local thrift stores. :c\
I was lucky just to find that SA-21.

Otherwise, I occasionally score cheap chinese brand keyboards.

goldenbaby

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:55:50 PM »

By the way, anybody know if the Bontempi PM651 is bendable?  Saw one at the shop today.  It's looks like a newer keyboard, so it may be bunk for bending.

deathbender

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 05:32:10 AM »

Sounds like your thrift stores far outdo my local thrift stores. :c\

Should i tell you about stores like these here where i live? In one of the biggest cities in germany there are 2 (in words TWO) stores which sell used stuff where you could assume to find some used toy and the like... but i never found any working toy or keyboard... next to nothing!!! And at local fleamarkets, which are at different locations once every weekend it's not much better. A SA-10 with leaked batteries here, a bontempi KT 32 with sharpie (sharpy? It's called "Edding" over here, black permanent marker) coloured keys there... everything overpriced that it almost hurts physically...

Oops, thread hijacking alert once again... sorry goldenbabe...  ;)

Gleix

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 03:29:30 AM »

Was watching through The Mighty Boosh today and saw this:

Does anybody know that little toy keytar Vince is holding? Just some generic toy?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:23:53 AM by Gleix »