Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Distorted output on mini keyboards?  (Read 6244 times)

noob666

Distorted output on mini keyboards?
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:39:01 AM »

I have a couple of casios and ALL of them have a distorted output. I'm sure I'm not the only one, any tips on how to fix this and what could be the problem? I love these things but I hate the unintended distortion!

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
Re: Distorted output on mini keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:59 AM »

Where is it distorting, on the speaker out or on an output jack you've added? Sometimes you'll need to bring the level down a bit with a 10k resistor and a 1k resistor, as detailed on the tips section of this site. Other times an 8 ohm resistor across the output positive and ground terminals puts a dummy load across them, which brings things back into shape. It's essentially putting the resistance over the points that the speaker would have done.

noob666

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:51:56 AM »

Where is it distorting, on the speaker out or on an output jack you've added? Sometimes you'll need to bring the level down a bit with a 10k resistor and a 1k resistor, as detailed on the tips section of this site. Other times an 8 ohm resistor across the output positive and ground terminals puts a dummy load across them, which brings things back into shape. It's essentially putting the resistance over the points that the speaker would have done.

Hi, thanks for your suggestions, these are the stock outputs 1/8" jacks plus the stock speakers distort. The distortion also has to do with the volume control settings on the keyboards, lower volume going out = less distortion. I don't have an oscilloscope to use and little electronics knowledge at this point although I hope to be a wiz someday.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:34 AM »

You haven't mentioned if you've tried to mod them or not, but i might work on the theory that if more than one keyboard is doing the same thing, then the issue might not be with the keyboards.

I take it you've tried a couple of different power supplies and/or batteries?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

noob666

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:43:19 AM »

They are unmodded, face in palm... The batteries in all them must be low I found some adapters and they sound basically fine with adapters. Sorry guys I should have checked before posting.  ::)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »

If i had £1 for every time i've overlooked the obvious problem.......................  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool