Circuitbenders Forum > BENDING TIPS

HOW TO GET STARTED - WHAT YOU NEED & TIPS.

(1/7) > >>

Circuitbenders:
One of the most common questions i get asked is 'what do i need to get started doing circuitbending' so this thread is so people can give general advice to beginners. If you want advice on specific machines start another thread but any general tips can go here.

First look at the tips page of the circuitbenders site http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/tips.html

For a first bending attempt you really can't go far wrong with a speak&spell, theres loads of information out there, you can't fail to get some good results and they are difficult to kill, unless you mess with the power supply so don't. Theres nothing for you there.  ;)

What you're going to need to get started:
Soldering Iron
Solder
A selcetion of Poteniometers - around 1K, 47K, 100K, 470K to get started
Some kind of output jacks, 1/4 inch mono for preference
wire - i seem to use 10/0.1mm or 7/0.1mm
Switches - SPST usually but having others handy is a good idea
Push to break buttons
Push to make buttons
As many screwdrivers & socket sets and you can find
A drill

What you may need in the future
A multimeter
Solder sucker
Solder mop / wick
Patchbay sockets - whatever type you like best
LED's
A guitar practise amp
Epoxy resin glue
Even more screwdrivers & socket sets
Trimmer Pots

Circuitbenders:
judging from that post the ability to be able to spell is clearly not a priority  ;D

nochtanseenspecht:
hmm, i don't know the english word for it, but these little wires with a crocodile mouth on both sides
are handy too, when trying out the right value pot, try a new connection etc...

btw, i always start with some wet fingers... works great ! :)

kick52:
I think this article makes it sounds too complicated..

All you really need (without wiring anything up) is a screwdriver to open it up. Then just use your wet fingers or the screwdriver to mess with the circuitry. Then to wire stuff up you need a soldering iron (one with a _SMALL TIP_), solder, wire, and a switch or whatever.. If you don't have a drill you need a well ventilated area, and something metal the size of the hole you want to make.. You can heat the metal up with the soldering iron to burn through the plastic and make a very crude hole. That's how I do it anyway.. Make sure you DON'T breathe in the fumes. The hotter the metal is the more plastic you will burn, so keep it at a minimal temp.

Circuitbenders:
Doing that will end up destroying soldering iron tips and / or your soldering iron fairly rapidly though and as you say, it will be a very crude hole.

--- Quote from: nochtanseenspecht on November 26, 2007, 10:09:38 PM ---hmm, i don't know the english word for it, but these little wires with a crocodile mouth on both sides

--- End quote ---

Crocodile clips  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version