Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SA(pocolypse)2!  (Read 7797 times)

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Nixot

Re: SA(pocolypse)2!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »

Sounding awesome. Could you tell us what you've done to it to get those sounds? :P

jamiewoody

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:07:27 PM »

sure. basically, i hooked up an APC, to use as an oscillator. i found that some of the sounds of the apc counteract with the notes on the keyboard.

also, the voltage sweep of the apc on certain settings seems to filter the sounds of the keyboard. that is the best way i can explain it, with what i know (or lack thereof).

i also added a power crash, a dc adapter jack, a 5th switch, an 8th switch (octave), a  body contact (which is not working, i need to find out why, it worked before), an output phone jacka custom paint job.

it's funny, something which is not discussed much, are the automated sounds on these keyboards. i mean, people do talk about the drum sounds, but there are some cool arpedgiated tones! i love the COMPUTER sequence on this! it sounds even cooler when effected by the oscillator!

samething with the sk1. the drums and other sounds get bastardized nicely with the oscillator and the patch bay! ;-)

Nixot

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »

Cool cool.
I have a question: how do you implement body contacts into this keyboard? I've heard about them but I have no idea how they work or how to do it.
Also, may I suggest using buttons for glitch instead of body contacts? If you wire up a push-to-make swith to two pins on the OKI chip (I forget which ones I used right now) it can produce some intreresting results.

Also, I've found the 100 secret sounds (I put a thread about it on the circuit bending discussion) - I agree, the computer sound is particularly nice. :)

jamiewoody

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »

well, my body contact is from the middle potentiometer pin from the oscillator. but, there is a body contact which can be done directly from the sa-2. i'll look that up and get back to you.

jamiewoody

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »

okay, there should be one body contact on pin 9 (nearest the ground spring on the battery terminal)....and one body contact  on the threshold potentiometer. (which i haven't done but may go back and do). i hope that helps. btw, it is on page 241 of ghazala's circuit bending book.

Timodon

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »

Yo Jamie

How did you hook the APC up to get that sound? I'm assuming that's what's making those wicked filter sweep type noises!

jamiewoody

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 03:32:02 PM »

well, i just hooked wires from the the output and trigger pins to different points of the casio cirrcuit board, in series with toggle switches.

i also did a switch so the apc would go straight to the output to bypass the keyboard.

i am still learning this stuff, and have a long way to go. i feel like i could be doing more with this than i am.

Timodon

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »

Cool! can you remember which pins you hooked up to? I might get my SA-1 open again and try something similar...

jamiewoody

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 03:58:43 AM »

tim, i dont honestly know what i did...i hooked up wires to the output and trigger pins of the 556 circuit (or you can make a 555 circuit), and just started touching parts of the keyboard until i found a couple of sweet spots. that is about it...

TNDR

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »

It would be so neat if you could write a tutorial on how to connect the APC! =)