Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CASIO SK1: the circuitbending hell :)  (Read 10347 times)

Transformer

CASIO SK1: the circuitbending hell :)
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:13:34 PM »

Just bought an SK1 for circuitbending and as I saw so many cool circuitbent layouts
I definately know now that I want to build it in a case like KORG MS20 or MS10.

But question: could you actually use a boldpatchbay in combination with pots,etc,...
I would make 2 sections otherwise: left boldpatchbay, right all these patchpoints combined with pots for control, and then finally some other stuff implemented based on Ghazalla's SK1 anti-theory.

SO: could you actually solder bolds on the IC-points and on the same solderpoint a pot?  I guess the SK would crash more?  Or couldn't this work?

papaspank

Re: CASIO SK1: the circuitbending hell :)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »

I don't want to put you off at all, that'd be mean.

HOWEVER! I feel it wise to pint out this site has some VERY useful ariticles on what not to do with a circuit whilst bending.

I myself am a mere fledgeing (excitement wins over sense wayyy too often) when it comes to circuit bending...

I have found some things out, that may seem obvious - but only if you can see them first off....

HEAT no - not the film, but your soldering iron... I use a gas one, it's not huge in the power department, but I've found gas tends to run a bit hotter than it's electric counterparts.

Hot enought to do some serious dammage to some parts of a board. ('cooking chips' is a sure fire way of getting nothing from your beloved little project)

I have been told that ordinary lrons can do this to - it just seems easier to do with gas.

BAD JOINTS - not a medical condtion brought about due to age and mileage, but a topic that I've mentioned elsewhere the dreaded   dry joint. the link there should help shed some light on the subject.

Hope that they're of some use to you.

ok?  ;)

Transformer

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 04:24:26 PM »

MKay, but that isn't an answer 2 my question :-[

I mean could you actually solder more than 1 component to the same icpoint? 
For example IC-point 1 soldered to a bolt and a pot with switch?  So that you can combine
ic-points like the patchbay-method and in combination with that on/off-switch and tunable pot?

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »

Yeah it's more than possible, I've done it a couple of times, you just helps if you've got one of those little micro vices to hold everything together.