Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: hello everyone newbie here and my first go at bending  (Read 10705 times)

james.athesberg

hello everyone newbie here and my first go at bending
« on: June 23, 2006, 11:59:22 AM »

well ive been producing for a while and was djin for even longer b4 that. i love all the crazy squeas and my music is getting less conventional track by track. Its a wonder my novation ks5 and sound system are still in 1 piece the way they get forced into making all those horrible horrible noises hahaha oh well.

had my first go at circuit bending last night, got the yamaha psr 21 out of the loft. it was all goin great until everything stopped.....no worry i turned it of an back on and started again. I was quiet liking it and started to get somewhere but then i really did break it and it was alot less dramatic than it should of been. No spark no nothing it now just does nothing :( :( power is getting to it an lights are on but nobody is home so to speak lol. time to head down the charity shops today see if i can find any more stuff to break hopefully with more success.

iqoruvuc

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: hello everyone newbie here and my first go at bending
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »

Hi bad luck - some keyboards are more robust then others!  The first thing I fried was a Casio PT-20, which I purchased for a couple of quid only to find later that people are willing to pay £20+ quid for one of these for reasons I don't understand.  My mistake was to play with the capacitors around where the power enters (never do that BTW) and it was too much power for whatever I was prodding.

Sometimes you can bring them back to life by putting some power back into the part that crashed it, or if you just leave it for a while.  Some of the Yamaha's can be quite difficult to manipulate especially those that use FM synthesis, howver there is often a chip that controls the pcm rhythm and this can easily be bent.

Anyway good luck with your next project!

sn7ke

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »

Hi! Sorry to hear that your keyboard died! Im also new with bending, and started on a Casio - SA 1
I recomend the lower SA keyboards for beginners, couse they are pretty hard to break, but pretty easy to bend! I managed to kill the SA 1 once, but soldering a wire from one chip-point to another chip point made it work again O_o!!!
so try messing around connecting different things (from the chip), but it can also overload some pieces i think. (wich will destroy the keyboard even more..)

So the SA series (sa 1, Sa-5) are nice! try to fiend them cheap (dont pay more then $7!! lol) for the most people it are just stupid kids-toy keyboards, but for us its bending heaven! :O

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 11:04:24 PM »

Definitely get a casio sa series keyboard, I think pretty much all of the models are good for modding, I certainly did some interesting mods to a SA-21 recently.

james.athesberg

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:05:04 PM »

i picked up a pss280 last weekend just cause i saw it cheap

no really sucess with it few destortions which sounded quiet nice an cruchy. was plannig to do the mod where u interupt the info between rom an cpu on i dont think my soldering skills are up to it as the cpu pins are v v small an close together. all a larning curve tho and at least i havent broken this 1 yet........well not entirely lol. also it makes some cool sounds in original form playing 2 patches at once.