Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help Yamaha RX-8 major newb disaster!  (Read 10808 times)

davethedoobie

Help Yamaha RX-8 major newb disaster!
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:22:22 AM »

Help. Whilst searching for good points to bend on my RX-8 I have suddenly turned it into the Bastard drum machine of the Aphex Twin.  The bass drum went totally distorted as did the toms but the other sounds where fine. 

If you own this drum machine and can visualise my description I connected a point on the second chip underneath the main korg processor to a resistor with a diode either side that is just to the left of the heatsink (I am learning a little from this site).

I turned off the unit and even disconnected the battery - does anybody have an idea of what mistake I've made as I like to be able to revert my bent machines back to there normal state.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: Help Yamaha RX-8 major newb disaster!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:37:25 PM »

Think you've zapped something.  You need to be really careful when bending not to stuff an unregulated or high voltage supply into one of the logic-level chips - stay away from power supplies and DAC chips!
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

davethedoobie

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »

I think you'ra right but I don't know how to identify DACs etc it's all a bit hit and miss - I think I suffer with man's disease (an inability and impatience at reading the manual!).  One thing I have resolved is the issue of the conductive casing. I took Crusty Paul's tip and have placed a piece of plastic against the casing and now intend to drill small holes and put bolts into it.  I was considering fitting a DB25 connector like I've seen on google but considering its present condition I'll save the parts for something else.

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »

I think you'ra right but I don't know how to identify DACs etc it's all a bit hit and miss

Make a list of all the chips you see, and google them.  Memory chips are pretty obvious just from the way they're wired up.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

davethedoobie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »

thanks Gordon

I took your advice and made a list of the chips - found a site that gave me a visual image of the chips on the various boards.  It's helped me avoid frying some other machines.  Just completed my Kawai K1 bends which are not as extreme as my yamaha machine bends but very interesting none the less.  I'm hoping to upload some pictures when I learn how!   All the best.  dave.

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:35:53 AM »

i had the same problem with an RX-5 machine i too turned if and removed the internal bettary and left it for 3 months thinking it was dead untill i tried a good old factory reset which resolved the problem and the sounds became normal again. on the rx-5 you hold all the orange buttons down while the machine is of then turn it on. worth aving a go
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:03:14 AM »

same with th RX15, to rescue it from some crashes you have to do a factory reset with the internal battery removed.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

davethedoobie

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions Matt and Paul.  I thought disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a week would let any evidence of power drain from the caps.  I can't find any reference of how to do a factory reset in the manual.  The strange ironic thing about it is that if I could turn these distortions on or off I would be very happy indeed!

I'm not giving up though just revising my options.  I'm not letting this one beat me.

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:57:44 PM »

according to this site were i got my RX5 info fromhttp://www.rangeraudio.com/presets.htm to reset you
   HOLD STOP/CONTINUE, +1/YES, AND -1/NO Then TURN POWER ON.
good luck !
8Bit Brain Analog Heart