Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Supposed russian like speak and spell by company called Sygmatics is it rare?  (Read 9876 times)

mr ibrahiem

• Way to much time on his hands
  • Im Ibrahiem I like to eat apples

Hai Got hold of a sygmatics  elite bi-lingual language teacher-translator from a boot sale i opened it up an there is over 7 microchips in it it uses i think over three lpc chips+speech roms including one wierd 8 bit microcontroler  chip
that chip is white with a gold cover on top and looks just like a russian microsytems  8 bit microcoder chip What I find wierd is that it is dated from 1975 and i think it was made for colleges for language courses  does that mean that it was the first product to use linear predictive coding? sounds alot like a mix of a TI touch an tell mixed with a tsi speech plus calculator with a dash of intellivision speech synthesizers 4 bit voice quality. its built like a tank

the case is beutuiful cream white with computer key buttons and seems to have recycled transistors capacitorts and ics
Is it rare at all and if it is should i circuit bend it? have you ever heard of one if so say so ok
Thankyou please
mr ibrahiem 

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk

It does sound pretty rare.  It would be a shame to hack it up without making sure it's not something really unusual and worth keeping.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

mr ibrahiem

I agree with you I have opened it up and it had a primary bopard and a secondary inflection control board I bent it but with a screwdriver and I found some cool glitches in it  like there is three lpc chips each one had  a different language in it but you can only use one at a time well you can disable the steppingfilter chip and you can mess about with the chip on the greenboard on the top left by the way this isnt a microcontroller this is a subtractive speech synthesis chip SSI-t535aa Zilog(company that made it same as in old soviet commodore or aplle macintosh computer clones) i have looked al over the net and its mentioned nowhere and i have had a talk with other circuit benders and they know of no such thing as mine soo.....it actualy may be only the only example in britain or europe

bent sam

• ...Yes

I have no idea how much it's worth but it sounds really rare.

I know loads of people who would kill for this though (including me).

Be careful with it for god sakes! I would suggest only doing safe bends that you know wont fry it.
Yer well.............

mr ibrahiem

I have a picture of a similar if not same device from around 1975 I ts not mine but it is in a soviet museum and is quoted as bieng one of the first speech synths to use pre coded  liner matrix semi predictive coding with....editable parameters . it is not the first commecial synth to use speech synthesis that title is not held by the speak and spell but the TSI speech plus Talking calculator back in 1976 i think .but the speak is still the most popular so eh  any ways  i tookit a part and the glitches well what can i say ........... im speechless  oh idont know how to insert an image could someone help me with that please

bent sam

• ...Yes

use the little icon of an image and paste the url of the picture in between the two sets of square brackets

or just paste a link to it i just want to see it :)
Yer well.............

mr ibrahiem

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Elektronika_UK-001.jpg

i have the link to the photo...keep in mind though its not exactly the same as this but very similar
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:00:08 PM by Circuitbenders »

mr ibrahiem

Did the link work ? have you seen the photo?
Bear in mind its not exactly the same as this but close

I decided to not bend it
I kepping it on shelf displaying table for perminent displays
I would have bent it but i not going to now I nkow how rare  it is I is VERRY BIG and HEAVY