Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: painting plastic...  (Read 9965 times)

andy_wheels

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
painting plastic...
« on: July 02, 2006, 11:49:31 AM »

can anyone recommend some paint which will apply ok on the plastic cases and keys of casio's? i've done a bit of research and acrylic or enamel seem to be the way forward but i'm still not 100% sure...

hmmm, maybe a stunning pink colour is the look for my sa-1!  ;D

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
Re: painting plastic...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »

From my days of painting airfix kits and war hammer fantasy figures I'd recomend spray on acrylic, you'll get a nice even coverage and it drys quick too.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »

Yeah, cans of spray on acrylic work fine, but make sure you get a can of black or white primer to spray on as a first coat or else it'll all just peel off on unsanded plastic.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

sn7ke

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 06:16:48 PM »

Yep, i experienced that lol. Enthousiasticly bought a cool Pearl-White spraycan, but forgot about the primer...lol.
Now i can peel of the paint an make cool pictures with my nails. O_O

andy_wheels

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 07:58:11 AM »

is that oil or water based primer?

iqoruvuc

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 10:16:08 AM »

Hi - I attempted a full respray once last year, and it turned out to be unbelievably expensive and a total waste of time because the machine died unexpectedly just as I had screwed it back together!

I went to Wilko and bought some plasti-Kote cans of spray-paint.  Although it was only a small toy I ended up using about two cans of white primer and one and a bit cans of paint.

You can buy the primer there.  I believe you should use white if you using bright colours and grey if you are using dark colours.  I tried spraying outside but the wind took most of the spary away and dust kept blowing onto the paint.  Dedfinately spray inside if you have a derilict room and household full of people indifferent to the toxic smell of solvents.

Negativity aside the finished product looked really good, but is incredibly time consuming as I had to do several sections in parts with several light coats over the coarse of several days.

Wilko also sell an own brand budge paint, plus primer but I don't know what it's like.  Reed Ghazala's book has quite a few tips for painting which are quite handy, especially to someone like me who has no experience of using spray paint.

andy_wheels

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 08:59:32 AM »

sounds to me like you might have been spraying a bit far away from the target object. this results in the particles drying before they make contact and you lose most of the paint to the air/furniture/nose/lungs etc..

i've primed up 4 synths with one can of plasticoat primer and it's still going! they key to succesful spraying is constant movement and getting a good angle on whatever the target is.