Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Acid Leaks (neutralize and repair)  (Read 6639 times)

MAGTIG

• asspostle
Acid Leaks (neutralize and repair)
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »

I just scored a CZ-101 at a yardsale for $40, but there's acid damage. Not on the main boards thankfully, but it seems to have caused a small controller chip for the master tune buttons to stop working.

What's the best way to neutralize the acid and stop the damage from spreading?

MAGTIG

• asspostle
Re: Acid Leaks (neutralize and repair)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »

I successfully repaired it! This is what I found searching google for an acid neutralizer (baking soda mixture): http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/3553.html

But I wound up just using good old fashioned shampoo, soap and water. Basically I gave the dirty fucker a shower and rigorous scrubbing. 

I had to resolder all the wires to the chip. It was interesting because the acid had caused a hard non-conductive shell, like rock, to form on the outside of the solder blobs. When I finally got the solder underneath to melt these hard shells came off like egg shells. I pushed them aside with the solder gun. I also had to cut all the wires, re-attach them and resolder all the points. I think what happened is the acid caused the metal to lose its conductive nature, preventing any electrical signal from getting through, but I only started doing this a couple months ago so what do I know. I wish I had a before pic so you could see how crud encrusted it was. Nonetheless, here's a picture:

I've never played a CZ before, this thing sounds ridiculously awesome. $40 is starting to seem like quite a bargain.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Acid Leaks (neutralize and repair)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »

Anyone who's ever opened a machine made by Cheetah knows the horror of this.

I usually use some isopropyl alchohol on a cotton bud to dissolve the crap and clean it away, altthough this does tend to remove any lettering etc on the board.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool