Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gating a 4017 sequencer  (Read 8634 times)

manufactured zero

Gating a 4017 sequencer
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

Can anybody help me out in gating a 4017 sequencer. I can do it but it doesn't work on quite a few things properly which prompts me to believe it's something i'm overlooking.

On the things that don't like it you get missfires, machinegun triggering and sometimes even the gate signal banging on. Then to complicate matters, i get one pad to trigger each step only to find it goes to the dogs again the moment i connect it to a second pad?? I looked at the get lofi kits the other day and liked what i saw. Easier then using individual trannies. A transistor array ic. Could anyone recommend one to me? I may well just buy a lofi kit if i can't get to the bottom of it and use theirs as a guide

Triggering drums will still work with no gate as you can assign one sound to two pads. But with only four pads and 8 steps on the dd's i like to make, a compromise isn't really ideal :/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:55:26 PM by manufactured zero »

noystoise

Re: Gating a 4017 sequencer
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »

ive used 4017"s quite a bit but im not familiar with the get lofi version. i couldnt find the schematic on their site, what is that second chip for? are you trying to sequence drum pads? not sure what machine you are using, but im assuming it has pressure sensitive-like pads. you may need to explore the circuit further and bypass that sort of envelope trigger if its possible. i dont know, just a response. a schematic would be nice.

manufactured zero

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »

Cheers, i'll draw something up and send it over. I'm triggering dd6, 7 and 8's. Without the gate they all work fine. The second chip on the get lofi pcb kit is a transistor array i believe. I took a look and planned to ask but thought it a bit rude if it then meant i didn't buy one.

Thanks for the reply. I'd love to nail this one. Drum machines and percussion tend to be my favoirites. The sa21 i've just built is nice but i initially wanted to house an 8 step drum sequencer on the right hand speaker panel and a good set of modulation controlls to the left. After 5 hours i gave up. I had it multi triggering two of the drum sounds as intended but randomly, every few seconds i'd get a rogue hit. Very frustrating when you just cannot figure it out. It doesn't help that i lose internet connectiondown the shed as i can't search there and then for possible solutions.  >:(

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »

Make sure none of the inputs are floating, and that you feed it a properly debounced clock signal.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.