Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: microphone inputs...  (Read 7715 times)

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
microphone inputs...
« on: November 30, 2009, 04:20:56 AM »

as you know, most casio keyboards include an 1/8" mic input.

thus said, is there a possible mod/bend for a voice filter contact?

if so, i assume this could be done via mic element to the circuit board and surgical tubing...but, i was wondering if it could also be done via the 1/8" mic jack.

also, if it can be done, where would be a plausible location on the circuit board?
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: microphone inputs...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »

if so, i assume this could be done via mic element to the circuit board and surgical tubing...but, i was wondering if it could also be done via the 1/8" mic jack.

Wait, what?  Where does the surgical tubing come in?
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

jamiewoody

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »

ever heard joe walsh or peter frampton??!

check out one of those crappy velemin kits sometime...the robot voice changer. (which i am going to build. but, i hear there are better quality kits out there.).

there is a mic component-element which is soldered to the circuit board. you connect a piece of tubing to it, about 1/2" in diameter (aprox). you talk through the tubing, your voice goes through to the mic component to the circuit...there are buttons for modulation, vibratto, etc.

_______

i was wondering if this could be incorporated into a casio bend of sorts? it seems plausable, but i was wondering if someone else might have tried it first.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »

A talkbox doesn't work anything like that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box

How would talking via a tube connected to a mic element on a voice changer change the effect in any way?

Am i not getting this somehow?  :-\
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

jamiewoody

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »

if you have the mic element picking up sound without the tube, ambiently, you can hear a little of what is in the room, vaguely.

if you have the tubing over the mic element, the sound travels straight to the mic element, and does not pick up what is in the room. the sound from your voice to the mic is stronger and more concentrated.

in simpler terms, i tried this and it worked. it works, i believe, similar to the heil talk box. the difference being, the talk box was not a preamp effect, but a post amp effect, as it was connected between amplifier and speaker cabinet.

but, more specifically, is there a practical way a mic element can be added to a bend on a casio circuit board, so that voice filtering can be a factor also?

or, could this circuit be connected to the mic input? or perhaps instead of the mic element and tubing, a gooseneck might be preferable?

how did the vocoders work on the old korgs?

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »

if you have the tubing over the mic element, the sound travels straight to the mic element, and does not pick up what is in the room. the sound from your voice to the mic is stronger and more concentrated.

Why on earth would you do that, instead of putting the mike on a bit of wire like a normal person?

The Pete Frampton talkbox thing doesn't work like that at all, incidentally - it's a loudspeaker mounted at the bottom of a tube that you tape to the side of your microphone (a normal mike on a wire).  When you press the footswitch it turns on the speaker, and fires the sound up the tube into your mouth which then acts as a filter.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

jamiewoody

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:30:58 AM »

well, perhaps this concept would not apply to an electronic keyboard...

i guess the talkbox analogy was not correct...thanks for setting my straight on how one actually works...

however, the way the velamin robot voice changer works is just as i said. a mic element in a circuit. sound travels from the mic to the circuit, which makes voice modulation.

connecting a piece of tubing to the mic element does just as i said, creates  a direct filter from the voice to the circuit.

i may build one of these. i hear there are better quality kits than velemin, but this thing is only $16, so it is worth a gamble. the switches are crappy sensor type, so i'll buy toggles for it.

i've been thinking of building a "pandora's box" of noies makers, i may incorporate this into that.