Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: labelly-type-things...  (Read 10743 times)

geigercounter120

labelly-type-things...
« on: July 18, 2006, 11:56:40 AM »

Hello again!
I am getting into this whole circuit bending name now.. and I'm thinking about how my completed project is gonna look.  I wan to add some labels to it, similar to what I've seen on this item on ebay (it's probably being sold by someone here tbh!):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORANGE-Circuit-Bent-YAMAHA-PSS-140_W0QQitemZ280008810309QQihZ018QQcategoryZ38071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering if someone could tell me the name/link of a kit I can use to create some of these myself, or if anyone has any cooler ways of naming their buttons!?

Cheers guys/grrlz

Chris

;D

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: labelly-type-things...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:14:29 PM »

I think those are done using a Dymo embossing label writer. They were made in the late 70's and 80's if i recall correctly but i'm not sure if you can still buy them, you can still get the embossing tape so i'd imagine you can.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

geigercounter120

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:20:12 PM »

cheers for that!
searching for 'label makers' on t'interweb wasn't too helpful!

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »

They still sell the Dymo machines at staples and other stationary suppliers... only now they're in jazzed up colours such as lime green and sky-blue. 
They're still a big pain in the arse too :)

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »

Letraset make a really stylish set of rub-on lettering:

http://www.letraset.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=17&cat=Rub+Down+Lettering&ssctn=default

I've had some of these sheets for years. The big advantage of them is that they're completely flush with the surface they sit on, so they actually appear to be printed on the surface, like the rest of the lettering on your keyboard. You can get them in black letters and I think also white. You just use a smooth blunt object, such as the round back end of a ball point pen, by laying the letter sheet on the surface to be printed on, then you rub the letter you want with the blunt object, reasonably hard. Then carefully peel off the sheet from the letter, and the letter stays there. You then make up the rest of the word you want, 1 letter at a time, in the same manner.

Cheers, Graham

Orangery

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:07:34 PM »

... trouble with instant lettering is that it can be scratched off easily.  You could seal it I suppose.  There is also a modern variant of the Dymo (Tenza) machine which prints directly onto self adhesive tags... a tad expensive though.

andy_wheels

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:16:02 AM »

oooh, what a nice keyboard that pss-140 is... heheheh....  ;D

ithe labelling is indeed a dymo embossing tool. cost under a tenner in a art supplies shop. staples had some of the tape but not the machine itself. i love the effect of the letters on the tape. it's perfect for circuit bending labels but your hands hurt after using it a bit.

does anyone have any experience of the more expensive dymo labelling system? the type that print on tape rather than embossing? i wasn't sure if the text might rub off and wasn't prepared to spend £30+ on the machine to make them.