Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What music is good to listen to while studying?  (Read 6319 times)

jimmyray

What music is good to listen to while studying?
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:13:41 PM »

What kind of music gets you into that zone of concentration where you tune out everything else and just focus on what you are doing?Please, list specific songs, genres, and artists. I am looking for music to get because where I normally study is quite noisy and I want something to tune out the noise and help me focus. Thanks in advance!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: What music is good to listen to while studying?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:58:12 AM »

Nothing, i can't listen to music and concentrate on something else at the same time. Ii can't have music as a background, i have to actually listen.

Possibly not the most helpful reply ever.....................  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Gleix

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:48:25 AM »

I'll apply the music I use to concentrate on circuitry to music I would use on studying.

Music without lyrics is great for studying as it can end up forming a nice background. Usually something electronic , possibly something repetitive. That may just be part of my taste in music, though. Something by Venetian Snares is usually nice, though generally incredibly upbeat which may not be very settling. Aphex twin, squarepusher, autechre... all wonderful in their own respect.

Some of that music is plenty loud if you're wanting to drown out other people. 8-bit music is really really fitting for working with circuitry, and I imagine it'd also be nice to listen to when studying as well. Non lyrical, minimal range of sounds, not incredibly distracting by itself. Phlogiston, Nullsleep, anamanaguchi, Random and plenty of others on 8bit peoples are wonderful. Bit Shifter is one of my favorite 8-bit musicians.

Other music I enjoy (not following any trend) while listening to while concentrating on things since you're asking specifics:

Animal Collective
Battles
Daft Punk
Dan Deacon
Doormouse [Loud, pounding, nonsensical and sometimes vulgar gabber/breakcore]
Floating Points [Great catchy minimal house music]
Grizzly Bear
Hot Chip
Imogen Heap
Kraftwerk
Phoenix
Radiohead
Ratatat
Rovo
Royksopp
Saltillo
Shpongle
STS9
The Knife
Thom Yorke

Also, Philip Glass. I can't stress this one enough. Classical music is wonderful for this sort of situation, but especially Philip Glass's unique style of composition. Steve Reich's works also fit in here well. Check out "Music for 18 Musicians." It's a 14 part slowly evolving group of repetitive/phasing minimalist symphonic music. Each part runs seamlessly into the next one making for a very nice experience that would put you in another mindset and most likely help you concentrate.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:15:17 AM by Gleix »

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »

i listen to Bagdad Batteries by the orb when soldering  on the tread mill if thats any use to you
8Bit Brain Analog Heart